Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to archery talk and I am sure it has been discussed elsewhere so perhaps you could direct me to another thread or maybe just humor me. But I have a question, and there seems to be a lot of great knowledge here so here goes.

I am shooting 63# 27.5" dl right now I am shooting arrows that weigh 375 grains with 100 grain head at about 270 fps. Many people talk about 400 to 450 grains being minimum for elk. My question is can I go to a 125 grain bh without a problem or do I need to switch arrows as well?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
it should be heavy broadhead on light arrow.

ttt

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
As long as you're not borderline on being weak spined there should be no problem switching to 125's. With that said, I'd say even at 400 grains you'd be lighter than I'd consider adequate for elk. I won't shoot less than 450 at deer, much less elk, but that's just me.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
As long as you're not borderline on being weak spined there should be no problem switching to 125's. With that said, I'd say even at 400 grains you'd be lighter than I'd consider adequate for elk. I won't shoot less than 450 at deer, much less elk, but that's just me.
I've punched 390 - 415gr arrow through the spines of 2 deer, no problem, and they were only moving in the 260's fps range. While I appreciate momentum, I think you're maybe a little overthinking it. As for elk, I might tend to agree that a heavier arrow would likely be better, but I believe that in the low 400gr range should be sufficient with GOOD FOC!!! Most bows actually have a point where they are "most efficient, and that point is somewhere between 400 and 475gr on every bow I've set-up and treaked.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,135 Posts
post what arrows you are shooting

·
THwack--CRASH
11,135 Posts
post what arrows you are shooting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts