Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I like elk!
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all...
im building some new arrows and want to adjust the FOC.
im looking for a vane in the 2" range that will be good for broadheads, but is light weight.
ive seen the vanetec 2.3 ss is around 4 grains so that mat be a good choice.
im looking to stay with plastic vanes....although the gateways are pretty tempting.
any suggestions from you guys that have played around with this?
thanks for any info!

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
NAP Twister Vanes I think are the best 2" vanes. They are 6 grains each, but they have the microgrooves and the kicker at the top of the vane. They give you a much tighter group because it helps stabilize the arrow faster. I am shooting a 1.75" Blazer vane now. They are 5 grains each. I now have a much tighter group when practicing. I will never go back to 4" vanes again.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
I'd suggest the VaneTec 2" HP vane or the 2" Fusion, they are even lighter.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
NAP Twister Vanes I think are the best 2" vanes. They are 6 grains each, but they have the microgrooves and the kicker at the top of the vane.
The regular QS's have the kicker, the Twisters do not.

I would never sacrifice a tiny bit of weight on vanes just to gain that tiny bit of FOC. I'd rather add BH weight to gain FOC and keep what works on the back of my arrows without significant drop past 40 yards. I like my 2" and 3.13" QS's.....they weigh 20gr and 27gr for the three of them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Gateway Rayzrs

Gateway Rayzrs, only 1.7 grains each and they steer my broadheads beautifully, as far as I can shoot them 60 plus (practice). Highly recommend them.

·
I like elk!
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The regular QS's have the kicker, the Twisters do not.

I would never sacrifice a tiny bit of weight on vanes just to gain that tiny bit of FOC. I'd rather add BH weight to gain FOC and keep what works on the back of my arrows without significant drop past 40 yards. I like my 2" and 3.13" QS's.....they weigh 20gr and 27gr for the three of them.

understood,but why wouldnt a lighter vane "work on the back of your arrow" opposed to what your using?

im sure your vanes work great,but whos to say that an arrow cant be built with lighter vanes and/or a heavier tip to maximize or custom tune an arrow to FOC...

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
im sure your vanes work great,but whos to say that an arrow cant be built with lighter vanes and/or a heavier tip to maximize or custom tune an arrow to FOC...
You can definitely build something to suit your desires, I'm just saying I'd rather add point weight to achieve a higher FOC. Even 25gr point weight difference only changes my FOC from about 10% to 12%, which isn't much. So me starting with a total vane weight of 20gr isn't going to gain that much FOC by only dropping a few grains. Last year I tried a lot of the vanes that are on the market versus the QS's, and ended up right back with the QS's. They were just more consistently accurate than everything else I tried. I didn't try feathers though, because I have heard that they really drop off past 40 yards. Well, for 11 months out of the year, 95% of my shooting is from 40+......so I chose not to even try that route. Kind of like the 4" QS's versus the 2"........the 4" fletched arrows hit 18" lower at 80 yards than the 2", yet BH accuracy is the same for both. That's an easy choice for me.;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
I personally agree with 5Milesback. i think you will have greater success with adding weight to you bh/fp to achieve FOC than worrying about lighter fletchings. in addition going to lighter vanes might give you more speed but keeping a heavier/stiffer vane and adding a little more weight to the front of your arrow will increase accuracy and penetration. just my opinion, but i hope whatever you decide works out for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts