Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would be the lightest arrow you would use for hunting?

not talking about what is safe for your bow or anything,just the lightest arrow for a 60# 27" bow.

anyone useing 350gn or less,and wiith what results?

only talkinng for whitetail at 30rds or less.

· Registered
2,919 Posts
I will probably get flamed for this but . . .

this year I'm using 335 grain arrows (out of a 62-lb bow) with about 70 ft-pounds of KE coming off the bow; don't have any actual experience with it yet but I'm not worried about it

a 50-pound older model bow would be putting out a lot less energy even with a heavier arrow so I don't expect any problem

(expect lots of discussion coming about KE versus Momentum . . . short story is I think KE is important because we just want to push the arrow through the deer which requires force times distance which is KE; if we wanted to knock the deer over we would want momentum, but we don't really need to knock the deer over, it will fall down soon enough)

· Registered
2,631 Posts
I'll be shooting Easton Lightspeed 400's and CE Maxima 250's outta my GT500 @ 61# and 28" draw (27" shaft) this fall. Both weigh in right around 350 grains. I've used the maximas for the past two hunting seasons with great results. Throw a SlickTrick Mag on the end and its a deadly combo...:wink:.

· Registered
4,057 Posts
I shot a 370 gr. Radial X-Weave Pro 200 out of of my XF6, 27dl and 65# this year for elk. Normally I'd like to be up around 425 gr. for elk. 100 gr. Slick Trick magnum.
Ended up shooting a pretty good sized cow at 24 yards. Quartering away shot, went in 6 inches behind the front shoulder, broke a rib going in, another on the way out, and put a 1 1/2 inch hole thru the shoulder blade. The broadhead ended up against the skin on the far side but didn't go thru. 60 yard recovery distance. Pretty impressive in my book. I wouldn't be worried about using your setup with an arrow in the 325+ range on a deer. Shot placement is what really counts.

· Registered
513 Posts
My son used a 300 grain Easton Lightspeed 500 with a 75 grain innerloc. He unonly pulls 50 lbs and 25" draw. His Elite Ice shoots them at 253 FPS. He blew right through his deer at 32 yards opening day. Broke ribs on both sides. Never did find the arrow. Todays bows you do not need a heavy arrow for deer. Just my 2 cents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.