Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering, what's the lightest aluminum I could get away with shooting? I shoot an 02/ cc+/ pro-tec/ xt3000 at 70#'s with a 30" arrow,100 gr tips and feathers, and I shoot fingers. The most speed I can get out of it with 2514's is 245. I did get 260 with beeman ics 300's, but I really don't like carbon. Any suggestions that are lighter, and that would spine ok with fingers would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
HP have you thought about ACC's?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hornet

Ya I have, but I ended up in a major arguement with my wallet.:p They cost a fortune around here and no one stocks them.:(

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
You can order them from Lancaster for around $110.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
HP,
The charts show the 2514 as the lightest aluminum shaft for your set-up.

You could drop about 40 grains by going to a Easton Evolution (all carbon). They are priced more towards the aluminums.

Or, you could switch to a 75 grain head, and go with a 2512, which would save you a total of about 57 grains (32 grains on the shaft, and 25 on the point).

But IMHO, I would stay right where you are. You are only looking at gaining 10 to 15 fps at best, and are going to loose a lot of durability with those 2512's.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Lightre Aluminium

Assuming that you have 30" draw length the following will work

ACC 3-71 (aluminium/carbon) weigh 42 grains less than 2514

Carbon Express CX 400 weighs 82 grains less than 2514

If your draw length is really less than 30 inches other sizes may come into play BUT you are not going to make any significant gains staying with aluminium

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, guys.:) Don, I have a 31" draw. How tuff are the acc's? Tough enough to outlast aluminums by double? If one dozen would last as long as 2 dozen aluminums, then I could justify the extra cost. I shoot ALOT of spots in the winter and 3-D in the summer, as well as hunting.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I would say that ACC's are tougher than aluminums, but keep in mind, they do have an aluminum core, so they can be bent. As far as indoor spots and even 3-D's for that matter, many guys are sticking with the larger, line cutting shafts. For hunting, it think an ACC is too nice (and expensive) of an arrow to shoot at critters. There are many more affordable arrows out there that are just as effective in hunting situations. You don't need a Cadillac to drive to the store, when a Chevy will get you there just the same. ;)

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
HP they will outlast aluminums by at least double. I shoot them indoors, outdoors, 3-D, field everything. The take more abuse than an aluminum also. When I mess one up 99% of the time I crush the back end. If you shoot a 5 spot indoors they will last a long time. You may loose one or two (or more) shooting 3-D but They are worth it if you ask me. I still have 4-5 shafts from different sizes that I have shot over the years. Most of them that are gone were from getting hit by another arrow.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
That is the best alternative to those FAT 9.9 MM shafts.
You arent loosing speed because of weight as mutch as the diamiter of the shaft.
I have a Reflex that I use the 2514's with they arent fast but they go where you point them and they help quieten that loud thing down.
I am getting about the same speed as you.

those logs dont male for easy pass thru's either.:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts