Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Carter Evolution which I really like. I have read about people needing stiffer springs, but I have my screw backed out as far as it will go, and I still feel like I am pulling the limbs off the bow. Am I the only one experiencing this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My holding weight is pretty light...right around 10.50 lbs. My release fires at 17 lbs according to my scale. It is backed all the way out. Pulling an additional 7 lbs on the back wall is a LOT of pull, I think.

How much difference should there be between holding weight, and the weight at which the release fires? 2 to 3 lbs?

Todd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
It sounds like you have the heavier springs which are supposed to start at 16lbs or so and get heavier from there.

If you're having that much trouble you should try the lighter spring. When I first got my Evolution I was ready to send it in to get the heavier spring. The Evolution I had maxed out around 17lbs.

But I have sinced continually backed it down more and more and gotten better accuracy. The amount it should go off for you, as in many cases, is an individual preference.

At the heavier let off I was getting much more movement.

BTW the holding weight right when the stops engage on my bow is 11lbs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,892 Posts
salizex said:
It sounds like you have the heavier springs which are supposed to start at 16lbs or so and get heavier from there.
This release was originally ordered through 3D shoots. Chris at 3D shoots actually had to send the release BACK to Carter for the lighter spring since the entire Evolution order had the heavy springs. It was then shipped directly from Carter to my home. I sold the release here on AT to 1cbr_guy because the size seemed much larger than my Stan SuperX. So in short, it does NOT have the heavy spring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,470 Posts
i have the regular springs...i too shoot a bow with approx 10 pounds of holding weight.....

i can adjust the setting so that still goes off faster than desired or harder than desired....

take your time....work with the adjustment...it should adjust low enough for you to get it down to approx 12 pounds.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, I'm certainly keeping the release. It fits my hand like a glove. It's backed all the way out, as I said, so if I cannot get a lighter spring, I do have another option, which might void the warranty, but would certainly do the trick. :wink:

OBT, the set screw is backed up as far as it will go. When I pull it on a bow scale (which I dont recommend, because it causes the scale to shoot back to zero), the release engages just before it hits 17 lbs. My bow is holding 10.5 lbs on the same scale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,470 Posts
1cbr_guy said:
Well, I'm certainly keeping the release. It fits my hand like a glove. It's backed all the way out, as I said, so if I cannot get a lighter spring, I do have another option, which might void the warranty, but would certainly do the trick. :wink:
email or pm forrest.....he will get you hooked up with a lighter spring....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I emailed the Carter company directly, but I dont know who that went to. What is Forrest's AT handle?

By the way, have you ever seen the inside of this release? Very ingenious and simple! Nothing like I was expecting to see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,470 Posts
1cbr_guy said:
I emailed the Carter company directly, but I dont know who that went to. What is Forrest's AT handle?

By the way, have you ever seen the inside of this release? Very ingenious and simple! Nothing like I was expecting to see.
i havent seen the inside......

his handle is forrest carter on here.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
1cbr_guy make sure your bow is timed as well...if your bow has too much sponge then it takes more pull for the release to go off
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem there. I'm shooting a camless Monster Bows Phoenix with it which uses a "hard" draw stop. I have the same problem when shooting my Oneida Black Eagle, so sponginess can't come into play.


....oh, and thanks for the info, OBT.

Todd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
1cbr_guy said:
No problem there. I'm shooting a camless Monster Bows Phoenix with it which uses a "hard" draw stop. I have the same problem when shooting my Oneida Black Eagle, so sponginess can't come into play.


....oh, and thanks for the info, OBT.

Todd

oh don't go thanking OBT....as if he is some know it all:rolleyes: women have taught him all he knows...




is this you 1cbr_guy:zip:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,470 Posts
1cbr_guy said:
No problem there. I'm shooting a camless Monster Bows Phoenix with it which uses a "hard" draw stop. I have the same problem when shooting my Oneida Black Eagle, so sponginess can't come into play.


....oh, and thanks for the info, OBT.

Todd
whoa...if that photo is of your bow...perhaps its time for you to MARTIN UP:wink: ...the release works great with all martin bows:tongue:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, thats the owner of the company, Mike Schuch.

OBT, I've done the Martin thing, the Bowtech thing, the Hoyt thing, etc, etc, etc... and I can tell you, I'll NEVER shoot another cammed bow again. I'm hooked, dude:wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
1cbr_guy said:
No, thats the owner of the company, Mike Schuch.

OBT, I've done the Martin thing, the Bowtech thing, the Hoyt thing, etc, etc, etc... and I can tell you, I'll NEVER shoot another cammed bow again. I'm hooked, dude:wink:
:lalala:

maybe you should try the Mathews thing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:wink: Conquest, Conquest II, Conquest III, Rival Pro, MQ1, LX, Ovation, and Switchback.....been there, done them all. :wink:

By the way.....the Conquest III is still my favorite cam bow of ALL time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,470 Posts
1cbr_guy said:
Conquest, Conquest II, Conquest III, Rival Pro, MQ1, LX, Ovation, and Switchback.....been there, done them all. :wink:
look...dont let kitty pollute your thinking.....its martin magic time for you....:wink:

i mean...come on.....just what the heck is that a kids bow you got going on right now:tongue:

limbs coming out and off.....i have some play doe if you need it:tongue: :tongue:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,094 Posts
1cbr_guy said:
:wink: Conquest, Conquest II, Conquest III, Rival Pro, MQ1, LX, Ovation, and Switchback.....been there, done them all. :wink:

By the way.....the Conquest III is still my favorite cam bow of ALL time!

exactly....Mathews wins out....you should try the apex/apex 7
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top