Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’ve updated my request from 1 to 4 years to 1 to 15 years! Perhaps there is something that’s a bit older than might fit the bill for me. Thanks for any suggestions and help.

The BowTech Zion has my interest at 3.3lbs, but I don’t want to overlook anything. I am a 30 inch draw length, 30 to 34 inches, 330 IBO or better, and I prefer a bow that I can adjust the draw length on BUT that isn’t a dealbreaker. I’ll be using it to shoot at my home range for fun, and then to hunt with in the fall and winter.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Unfortunately the trend seems to be the bows are getting heavier. Now Xpedition X30 or X33 use some kind of composite that make them lighter similar to carbon. PSE levitate maybe another option. There are some others geared towards kids or women but don't tend to be as nice to shoot. Hoyt new carbon bow is a little lighter than past years as well.

That being said understand that going lighter usually means more feedback felt at the shot as well as paying more for the bow.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Along with the Zion, lightest would be PSE carbon airs, mach 1s at around that 3.3/3.5 pound mark. The Hoyt carbons and the xpeditions x30 and x33 are actually heavier than they advertise, and not much lighter than similar aluminum bows. The older Hoyt carbons like the carbon Defiant were actually light(under 4 lbs). And some of the more entry level or mid price bow can be light, like a bowtech fuel(3.6 I believe) or a PSE React(3.9).

·
Registered
399 Posts
The bowtech "carbon" bows are injection molded plastic with carbon fibers in the plastic.
They have a history of riser warp with heat and are not as rigid as most modern bows.

PSE carbon bows are a machined foam riser with metal inserts, wrapped in traditional prepreg carbon fiber cloth layers, vacuum bagged for compression, and cured in an autoclave.

Hoyts carbon bows are aluminum tubing, wrapped in carbon cloth, with aluminum brackets glued into the ends of those tubes..

If you want a light bow, the bowtech is cheapest.
It's the least expensive light weight bow due to being the cheapest to manufacture.

The pse is a traditional carbon fiber, light weight structure. It's your best option for a sturdy, rigid, light weight bow. That's not to say they have not had thier problems. It's carbon fiber shell can be prone to cracking if you over tighten the rocker pivot bolts. And, its expensive.

The hoyt is not only very expensive, but it is not that light weight.
And some of the versions have had issues with the risers coming unglued from the limb pocket brackets.

I have owned all three of these bows.
Honestly, I never had a problem with any of the ones I owned.
I shot the hoyt rx3 very well, but it was not a light weight bow at all. It weighed pretty much the same weight as all the aluminum bows that I had at the time.
I still have a pse mach1, and if I were trying to purchase a light weight bow, the pse levitate, mach1, ect is what I would go for.

Personally, I would advise you to prioritize something other than weight. But I dont know you, or your specific needs, so my opinion about what you should do is irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
APA bows are sub 4lbs though not as popular and well known they do make a quality product. They also have a "test drive program". Customer service I see top notc
This

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Bowtech Solution SS. 4.0lbs, 30 inch axle to axle. 332 Ibo. One of the smoothest drawing bows of 2021. (According to most of the numerous reviews I watched). Also a decent string angle due to large cams.

·
Registered
2002 Hoyt ultra tec 60-70 lbs.
427 Posts
I just purchased a used 2010 apa black mamba 6.5
They are definitely light bows.
and excellent. Customer service.
I needed a cable slide and the cam lock pin, the adjuster to lock it into the riser and they had all the parts in stock.
The small parts were $3 and per part. Draw modules are $49 cad per set.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Carbon Spyder 30 for the win if you can find one for sale :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
My brother had the bowtech carbon icon and really likes it. Super lightweight and he says nice to shoot. He's a lefty so I've never shot it

·
Registered
237 Posts
The "carbon" bows from Bowtech and Diamond are nowhere near that of PSE and Hoyt. They are cheap, light and can get the job done but that is it. Finish doesn't hold up; they get nicks in the riser worse than any bow I've owned. They do not have the performance of either the Mach 1 or Rx-whatever. The only way I would buy another one is if the budget isn't there for a new carbon from Hoyt or PSE or I couldn't find a Mach 1 or Carbon Air/Stealth in the classifieds. As for a comparison between the Mach 1 and Rx-series the Hoyt don't stack up to the Mach 1 for me either. Too heavy, I don't get the performance, and I like the draw cycle of the ECS better. Not having to deal with modules is also a bonus with going PSE over Hoyt. When I get to shoot a Rx-7 Ultra I may change my mind but I'm highly skeptical that it will cause me to replace my 2 Mach 1's.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got to the bow shop today, and I checked out the BowTech Zion. Definitely feels like a hunk of plastic cheapness lol with that said I haven’t ruled it out! It’s pretty light.

The Hoyt RX-7 was nice but it didn’t feel much lighter than my current set up. It says it weighs 3.9 pounds, but I definitely want to check that.

The only other light bow they had was the Bowtech Solution SS, which was nice but there has to be something later to be honest. at 4 pounds.

I appreciate all the suggestions and I’m gonna try to seek them all out. Keep the suggestions coming thanks!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Since you added a few years to your search, I had a PSE DNA SP that was extremely light. Going off memory the specs fit your criteria. 32" a-a 340ish speed, rotating mod for draw length.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ironically I just sold our PSE DNA last year. OK Bow. I was thinking about my Mathews chill, at 3.9 pounds. The back wall was a little mushy though! I’d likely re-buy the chill before the DNA.
Since you added a few years to your search, I had a PSE DNA SP that was extremely light. Going off memory the specs fit your criteria. 32" a-a 340ish speed, rotating mod for draw length.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 Hoyt ultra tec 60-70 lbs.
427 Posts
You could get rock mods for the chill could you not that should help with the mushy back wall

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I think my hoyt nitrum. the way it was designed felt light in hand. i mean of course my PSE mach 1 is just awesome pure hunting bow.
I dont know why they can make these aluminum bows lighter. You can always add weight or stabilizers.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts