Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think i might pay a million dollars for a viper summit that was less that 13 lbs, if i had it of course, jes, all the technology can't they get the lbs down a bit. i love summit stands don't get me wrong but that 1.5 mile hike in morning and then afternoon is getting harder as the years go by.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
i think i might pay a million dollars for a viper summit that was less that 13 lbs, if i had it of course, jes, all the technology can't they get the lbs down a bit. i love summit stands don't get me wrong but that 1.5 mile hike in morning and then afternoon is getting harder as the years go by.
I am actually looking at their open shot, as I do not like the bar in front of me. I believe it is lighter than the Viper, but I don't think it gets down to 13 pounds. There comes a point where lightweight becomes unsafe or noisy.
Dan

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I am actually looking at their open shot, as I do not like the bar in front of me. I believe it is lighter than the Viper, but I don't think it gets down to 13 pounds. There comes a point where lightweight becomes unsafe or noisy.
Dan
I recently got the open shot deluxe. I also have a viper and only used that this season and didn't really use the open shot yet. The viper is just so comfortable, but the open shot weighs like 15 pounds (spec'd - haven't verified) versus the 21 lbs for the viper so you are losing 5-6 lbs. Planning to take the open shot on public land "hikes". I know I'll always use my harness while climbing/descending with the open shot....and I'll miss not being able to rest my bow or gun on the bar....can't screw into trees (bow hanger) on public land here. I have a utility belt that has hooks that I use to hang stuff.

I'll have to get up a tree with my gear and go from there I guess. It should be nice for shooting the bow with no bar in the way....I always just kept my seat and platform close so that when I stood up the bar was at my thigh....but, it's harder to stand up quietly from that position....much easier with the seat higher and legs extended more. Also, the seat on the open shot flips up to offer more room to move....not sure how quiet that'll be come crunch time or if it's necessary, but the viper seat just slid back quietly out of the way.

There are other brands of stand out there that offer lightweight climbing models in the 14-17 lb range.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
use better aftermarket straps and get a belt to lift some of the weight off the shoulders, it makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I wish they used the Viper platform on the Open Shot, as the extra legnth would be nice. BUT, then the weight would go back up. I need/want the open front more than the Viper seat or longer platform.
Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts