Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who know who he is this would be the Grandson of the one and only Warren Womack. Looks like he's a killer just like his Ol' Grandpa! 'Cept maybe he might be a little more particular about quality, LOL!

original pic...

·
Registered
142 Posts
How is this being done? Do you have some sort of computer guided burning laser or what?

At any rate, that is sweet looking.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
herrmans139,
Thanks! and nope, no computer guidance or lasers involved, this is all done by hand! I carve it to a few different levels, usually with hand woodcarving tools, but occassionally freehanding a router, sand each level real smooth, then I draw it all by hand with a woodburning pen.

Momma let me have a little time to burn on her special day, so here's another update...

P

·
0 Posts
Do you have a link to the woodburing pen you use? I've never seen anything that fine, is it mostly a surface burn? What type of wood are you using and how did you get the golfball ding look in the back?

Awesome looking work.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a link to an online woodcarving store that carries woodburning tools like I use: http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/store/c/618-Woodburning-Tools-by-Optima.html

They have lots of different tips you can get. I only use a few different tips though. Most everything I do is done with a Shader or a writing nib. There are a couple more I use just in special situations. Many professional pyrographers just use one tip, a bent spearpoint shader.

It is mostly a surface burn, but I create some slight textures also, For example, On most deer I stipple their fur coats (basically shade it in with thousands of dots). This does create some texture on the wood as well as the color.

Most of the time I use basswood. You can burn on other woods, but basswood is the best. Some wood are more difficult because you cant sand it enough to keep from hitting grain bumps as you draw with the woodburning pen. If you have never used a woodburning pen before, everytime you hit a bump you are gonna leave a dark burned blob. Thet is the reason for sanding the surface as smooth as possible.

I used a power carving tool to create the dimpled background. Usually I hand carve gouge marks into the background, but recently did a piece like this and really liked it. Basically, a powercarving tool is like a dremel on steroids. I used a diamond coated, ball shaped tip to make the golf ball dimples.

Be glad to answer any more questions! Whether you are just curious or thinking about trying it yourself!

·
Registered
611 Posts
Super job I really like how you cut it out of a piece of timber, and not just a plain old board, like I said super job!!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I am calling it done! Made a couple adjustments...darkened his face some and fixed his hands. If you compare the final two photos I think you will see what a difference those two adjustments made!

FYI, next one is Mr. Warren Womack himself...bowkill #260

1 - 16 of 16 Posts