Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just wanted to share a quick experience I had yesterday.

I went out on just a morning hunt yesterday. We got to our spot just as the sun was coming up - perfect time to see some deer. Right away we spotted a deer bedded down under a tree. After looking intently at it and even getting out the spotting scope we came to the conclusion that it was a doe, which means it is off limits in Arizona. So we kept scanning the ridge looking for other deer. We found a couple more does but no bucks, so we decided to head back to the truck and look elsewhere. Before we left we got one more look at that doe. As we were watching her, she jumped to her feet almost frantically. It was then that I thought I saw some other deer moving around, but then I realized it wasn't deer, it was 2 coyotes. The coyotes were really trying to get at her and she was fighting back. One would come around the front and she would lunge at it. The other one would come around behind and she would spin to drive it back. This went on for a couple minutes and the doe never ran off. After a few minutes she was behind a tree and we could no longer see what was going on, so we hopped in the truck to find some other deer. Later we checked out that same ridge to see if any other deer had arrived. That same doe was bedded down in the same place. I watched her for a moment as my buddy looked around on the ridge elsewhere. I again thought I saw a deer moving around. This time it was a deer. It was a little fawn - and was probably the reason she was so intent on defending against those coyotes earlier.

Anyway, just thought I would share a cool experience I had while hunting. I will always remember watching that deer as she defended against the coyotes. I would have never seen it if I was cooped up in my office.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Very Cool, another example of it being the experience not the kill that gives us the real thrill.

·
Embrace the suck!
7,791 Posts
Cool story. I found a dead fawn today that had its guts and hip eaten.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts