Archery Talk Forum banner

Limb Bolts?

712 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  urabus
When you max out your bow do you tighten your bolts all the way or do you back them off a quarter turn. If you back them off, why? I've been tightening them all the way down and am not sure if that is the correct way or not.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Excited Delerium
1,024 Posts
Interesting question. I've always just burried them down tight, no issues.

· Registered
6,665 Posts
The theory is that you want a little bit of play so the limbs can move around. If you watch a bow being shot at super slow motion, you will see how much everything moves and wiggles around. You want that tiny bit of play to dissipate vibration from the limbs, instead of passing all that energy down the riser. This is the same concept as "earthquake-proof" bridges. They have some joints with a little bit of play. Not enough for it to come loose, but enough to dissipate a wave of vibration traveling down it.

· Registered
6,665 Posts
I think:confused:, the "Theory" on backing them out a touch is so the pressure is more evenly distributed on the face of the threads.
Actually, that doesn't make a difference at all. The screw threads from the limb bolts stick out the other side of the threaded inserts, so backing them out a little makes no difference in the thread to thread contact surface area. It's when you back them out too much, then it makes a difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.