Archery Talk Forum banner

Limb Driver Ultralight Limb Clamp!!!

3179 Views 18 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  budalcorn45
I just purchased a Limb Driver and when I thought about the weight of the aluminum clamp, I was very discouraged. So I designed and built my own Ultralight Clamp. For anyone interested, I will go thru a BRIEF description of the materials and steps below:

Need:

*Thick walled small diameter carbon shaft. I used an OLD Beaman Hunter60/80

The old Beamans are perfect beause of a characteristic they have.(they slpit down their seam).

*Peep Sight Tubing

*small piece of larger Diameter thin walled shaft that will slide over the small diameter thick walled shaft.

*Bic disposable pen(explained later)

*Small machine screw atleast 7/8" long and a nut for it.

*Dremel tool or drill + drill bit just big enough to give clearance for the screw.
You really need a dremel, because you need the dremel cut-off disk as well.

Instructions:

1. cut a piece of the beaman 60/80 2 1/4 inches long(for x-force).

2. If you used the beaman, here is where it shines:

slide the tapered end of a file in the end of the 2 1/4 piece of shaft with the seam of the shaft facing you and the tapers of the file 90 degrees from the seam. tap the shaft & file on the table and the Beaman will split right down the seam every time. You will have to use TWO of the 2 1/4 pieces because only one of the separated pieces will be thick enough. They hardly ever split perfectly in half. Just a little sanding and it's ready. slightly bevel the ends to aid in sliding the tubing on.

If you are using anything other than an OLD Beaman Hunter, you will have to use the Dremel & Cut-Off disk to split a shft. May the FORCE be with you!

3. Cut a 3/8 to 1/2 inch piece of the larger Diameter shaft. Then using the Dremel & Cut-Off Disk, split it down the middle to give two custom washers.

4.Drill holes in the CENTER from the INSIDE of the shafts(both the 2 1/4 and 3/8" pieces)

5. Remove the SMALL tip & inK tube from a BIC disposable ink pen(shown in photos. Keep the other part too. My Gold 3/8" washer made from a 55/75 Gold tip slid snugly on the end of the pen for holding it to cut in half with the Dremel Cut-Off wheel!

6. slide the ink tube & TIP into the 2 1/4" shaft half and use it to slide the Peep Sight tubing onto it. May the FORCE be with you! This takes some skill. Push, then pull the slack onto the shaft. You cannot just PULL or PUSH it on! You have to do BOTH! (back and forth). DO NOT pre-cut the tubing! it's easier to wait til you have all you want worked onto the shaft. I recommend about an inch.(see Photos).

7. You're DONE! Now all you have to do is assmbe the pieces!

I might consider making some of these for those don't want to try this or don't have the materials but they won't be cheap if I do.

I hope this helps anyone here that wants a lightweight alternative to the Limb Driver Split Limb Clamp.

Anthony

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
And you did all this to gain WHAT? And yes, you are the ultimate tinkerer. I'm not sure if that qualifies you for a man card or a couple cheap shots.:confused::)

P.S. This might become the weak link in the chain. And did you weigh all your components and determine the weight saved..... or gained.

· Registered
5,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't know I had to have Divid's blessing

For anyone that just has to know WHY I made this clamp, I purchased a Limb Driver on eBay that came with a solid limb clamp instead of a split-Limb clamp. I am not the most patient person and ordering one from Vapor Trail was out of the question. I wasnted to shoot my Limb Driver YESTERDAY! Since I couldn't find any aluminum, I decided to try this approach, especially given that I wasn't excited about a heavy clamp on attatched to my limbs. I hope my explanation will allow anyone at odds with my clamp to sleep tonight. If not, I'm sorry. Take your meds.

I posted this for anyone that DID think clamp weight was an issue. If you don't like it, stick with what you have and keep your comments to yourself. Use whatever you are comfortable with either way. I thought the reason I did it was obvious enough. I didn't realize I would have to explain why I wanted a lighter clamp. Why use a limb driver in the first place? Why even use a compound? Personal preference! So keep your smart remarks to yourself.

· Registered
4,267 Posts
I drilled a hole in my existing limb saver that was already mounted on the limb and threaded the string through that.
I drilled a hole in my limb and then melted a large ball on the end of my BCY material so the ball will not slip through.

Do you think that will void my warranty?

Reactions: fgignac

· Registered
7,523 Posts
For anyone that just has to know WHY I made this clamp, I purchased a Limb Driver on eBay that came with a solid limb clamp instead of a split-Limb clamp. I am not the most patient person and ordering one from Vapor Trail was out of the question. I wasnted to shoot my Limb Driver YESTERDAY! Since I couldn't find any aluminum, I decided to try this approach, especially given that I wasn't excited about a heavy clamp on attatched to my limbs. I hope my explanation will allow anyone at odds with my clamp to sleep tonight. If not, I'm sorry. Take your meds.

I posted this for anyone that DID think clamp weight was an issue. If you don't like it, stick with what you have and keep your comments to yourself. Use whatever you are comfortable with either way. I thought the reason I did it was obvious enough. I didn't realize I would have to explain why I wanted a lighter clamp. Why use a limb driver in the first place? Why even use a compound? Personal preference! So keep your smart remarks to yourself.

Way to go and thinking with your brain and making something that WORKS....just because some critics on here ask why instead of propping your knowledge and ideas makes me upset. But I just wanted to say I understand when you want to do something right now and not wait to order something.

I have a Limdriver on my PSE Diablo, solid limb, but am looking at the X-Force and will be putting my Limb Driver on there as well and may use the clamp style like yours or just use the new piece they send with there new rests. It works great now on my bow and should be fine for the X-Force.

How does your X-Force shoot with the Limb Driver, I heard the X-Force is hard to tune with drop away rests.....is that true for you?

Brian

Attachments

· Registered
1,621 Posts
I think its a awesome idea. I love to tinker and its rewarding. Love to see ideas like this. Way to go.

· Registered
4,267 Posts
I actually just bought a used LD in the classifieds and it didn't come with the button. I just ordered it for $5 from Vaportrail and had it in 2 days. Not to shabby CS for a $5 part...

· Registered
7,523 Posts
I actually just bought a used LD in the classifieds and it didn't come with the button. I just ordered it for $5 from Vaportrail and had it in 2 days. Not to shabby CS for a $5 part...
Thats great....yeah there CS is great.

Did they send you the two piece disc or the rubber mount like mine shows above?

I am looking at getting a new bow and most I am looking at has split limbs and I am going to call them and see what they recommend and cost.

:D

· Registered
294 Posts
I think I still have an old split limb clamp laying around, if you want, I have to look.

I bought the rest off of here and have solid limb bow, so I called them asking for the solid limb adapter and they said they supply the little rubber piece with every rest.

That rubber one also save me cause my cord was rubbing on my roller guard, but when I switched to the rubber one, the contact point moved to the outside of my bow, and now it doesn't rub.

· Registered
4,267 Posts
Thats great....yeah there CS is great.

Did they send you the two piece disc or the rubber mount like mine shows above?

I am looking at getting a new bow and most I am looking at has split limbs and I am going to call them and see what they recommend and cost.

:D
I had the rubber piece but it wouldn't stick to my bow. Not to sure why. That is why I called and asked for the "disk" or "button". Just put it on and shot with it today. Works great!

· Registered
7,523 Posts
I had the rubber piece but it wouldn't stick to my bow. Not to sure why. That is why I called and asked for the "disk" or "button". Just put it on and shot with it today. Works great!
I used some better two sidded bonding tape and the I wrapped the cord around the limb like they suggested and now it works like a champ. Goof luck!!

· Registered
6,910 Posts
I replaced entirely the clamp with a small "plastic handcuff" as the tension required by the LimbDriver to work is quite low. Works like a charm, it is very small and weights nothing...

Anubis

Image:
I would suggest taking an extra to the field with you in your pack - cold weather and a little use might cause it to break and that would be BAD.

· Registered
1,226 Posts
Dude,
That is tight...Nice thinking for sure. I too bought a vapor trail that was set up for a solid limb bow and I have an X-force. As I am not nearly as creative as you are, I had to order my mounting bracket from Vapor Trail. The nice thing for me is that they are located in Ham Lake MN and I live in Shakopee which is just a short distance away. I called in the morning on a Tuesday, and by Wednesday afternoon I was putting the bracket on my bow. The customer service there is outstanding if you wanted to order the actual bracket for taking along on hunting trips incase yours happens to break etc. I think I payed $5 shipped to my home for it. Very nicely done though. I envy your talents/creativity.
Bud

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.