I just purchased a Limb Driver and when I thought about the weight of the aluminum clamp, I was very discouraged. So I designed and built my own Ultralight Clamp. For anyone interested, I will go thru a BRIEF description of the materials and steps below:
*Thick walled small diameter carbon shaft. I used an OLD Beaman Hunter60/80
The old Beamans are perfect beause of a characteristic they have.(they slpit down their seam).
*Peep Sight Tubing
*small piece of larger Diameter thin walled shaft that will slide over the small diameter thick walled shaft.
*Bic disposable pen(explained later)
*Small machine screw atleast 7/8" long and a nut for it.
*Dremel tool or drill + drill bit just big enough to give clearance for the screw.
You really need a dremel, because you need the dremel cut-off disk as well.
1. cut a piece of the beaman 60/80 2 1/4 inches long(for x-force).
2. If you used the beaman, here is where it shines:
slide the tapered end of a file in the end of the 2 1/4 piece of shaft with the seam of the shaft facing you and the tapers of the file 90 degrees from the seam. tap the shaft & file on the table and the Beaman will split right down the seam every time. You will have to use TWO of the 2 1/4 pieces because only one of the separated pieces will be thick enough. They hardly ever split perfectly in half. Just a little sanding and it's ready. slightly bevel the ends to aid in sliding the tubing on.
If you are using anything other than an OLD Beaman Hunter, you will have to use the Dremel & Cut-Off disk to split a shft. May the FORCE be with you!
3. Cut a 3/8 to 1/2 inch piece of the larger Diameter shaft. Then using the Dremel & Cut-Off Disk, split it down the middle to give two custom washers.
4.Drill holes in the CENTER from the INSIDE of the shafts(both the 2 1/4 and 3/8" pieces)
5. Remove the SMALL tip & inK tube from a BIC disposable ink pen(shown in photos. Keep the other part too. My Gold 3/8" washer made from a 55/75 Gold tip slid snugly on the end of the pen for holding it to cut in half with the Dremel Cut-Off wheel!
6. slide the ink tube & TIP into the 2 1/4" shaft half and use it to slide the Peep Sight tubing onto it. May the FORCE be with you! This takes some skill. Push, then pull the slack onto the shaft. You cannot just PULL or PUSH it on! You have to do BOTH! (back and forth). DO NOT pre-cut the tubing! it's easier to wait til you have all you want worked onto the shaft. I recommend about an inch.(see Photos).
7. You're DONE! Now all you have to do is assmbe the pieces!
I might consider making some of these for those don't want to try this or don't have the materials but they won't be cheap if I do.
I hope this helps anyone here that wants a lightweight alternative to the Limb Driver Split Limb Clamp.