Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two scenarios. Figuring same draw length and arrows, one bow has 50-60 lb limbs set at 60 lbs. Other bow has 60-70 set at 60 lbs. Would one or the other be more effecient? Seems they would be the same cause if you plug the figures into a formula for speed they would come out the same.

But real life, would one be faster than the other?

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
The more pre-load you put on a set of limbs, the more efficient they are. Also, limbs with higher deflection numbers, have more mass, which needs to move in the firing sequence.

So, yes you will get better performance from setting a bow to it's highest draw weight. However, in "real life", it doesn't make a significant difference. At least in my experience.

·
Unregistered User
1,738 Posts
Keep in mind that draw length is measured when the bow is at the maximum draw weight. If you back a bow down 10 lbs you will make the draw length longer as well.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Keep in mind that draw length is measured when the bow is at the maximum draw weight. If you back a bow down 10 lbs you will make the draw length longer as well.
Yup, on most bows you will, but beyond parallel designs may not gain even that much in DL. Upright limbed bows I have seen gain 5/8" of DL turning them down. It varies a bit from one model to another, depending on limb length and geometry.

I agree with copterdoc, in the real world a couple fps isn't worth worrying about. Besides, the one with the heavier deflection limbs should not just lose speed from added mass, but also gain durability compared to lighter limbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts