Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
silent but deadly
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the easy (and correct) answer, but.......

I noticed today while wiping down my bow that one of my limb saver inserts cracked. The crack (actually a break) is dead center of the limbs. The correct answer would be to just spend $15 - $20 and get a new set. Unfortunately I am having to save every little penny possible. Therefore I rigged what I think is a temporary solution.

To make my long story as short as possible; My wife is taking care of her grandparents that are in terrible shape. Recently everything that can break has been breaking, so I am having to patch, repair, and replace what I can. I can go into a lot more detail, but this isn't a sob story, and I am not looking for sympathy. I just felt like explaining my reason for asking the dumb question I am about to ask.

........and here is the question I need an answer to:

I pulled the limbsaver and ran a bead of superglue down the crack. I then glued the cap to the rubber washer for added stability. I then placed the limbsaver back on the bow with the crack positioned horizontally. I haven't fired the bow. I decided to ask for the wisdom of you guys as to whether or not I should be safe.

In my mind I think I will be just fine until I can spare the extra few bucks for a new set of limb savers. However, I really do not have a clue how much energy is transfered through those limbs when an arrow is released. I just got the bow tuned and shooting accurate again. The last thing I want to do is have a small $20 part destroy my bow. I really hope to hunt a little more with it, as well as spend time shooting with my daughters.

·
Vendor
4,668 Posts
I am going to say this one time and only once so don't think me a idiot but...I know what you are talking about but I don't know what you are talking about. Splain a little more about the "part" you have...better yet post a pic and if its what I think it is I will send you a new set of Limbsavers.

·
Bears Den Precision
3,634 Posts
I have used super glue to repair splits in Limbsaver products for years, I agree I would like to see a pic to verify which parts you are speaking of gluing!

·
silent but deadly
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is the limb dampener that is positioned between a set of split limbs. I believe this is the new and updated version of what cracked http://www.limbsaver.com/product/broadband-limbsavers-solid-2/

Scepterman30x, your offer is truly generous. However, I am not asking anyone for anything more than an answer. I have to truly admit that your offer speaks volumes about your character and personality. I wish there were more people in the world such as yourself.

I will admit that it's fun to give. I met a man recently that acquired a Mosin Nagant. Unfortunately he wasn't able to play with his new toy due to a lack of ammo. I believe the gun was given to him. He and his son are both cancer survivors (his son is only 10) and when he showed me his Mosin I grinned after holding it. He said he was going to get a few rounds and take his son shooting after baseball season. His son plays and his extra funds support his son's hobby. A few days later I dropped off a box of 7.62x54r.

I'm not bragging about giving, I am bragging about the joy it gave me to know that I was able to help someone have a little more fun with their child. The plus is that a Mosin-Nagant is a fun rifle to shoot. An old rifle like that needs some exercise from time to time. Just the mention of your offer made me smile. I'm really not asking for anything though. If the bow is safe I will be happy and satisfied until I purchase a new set.

·
silent but deadly
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have used super glue to repair splits in Limbsaver products for years, I agree I would like to see a pic to verify which parts you are speaking of gluing!
This is the broken part. Hopefully the picture will come through.

The break is easy to see on the bottom side. If you look closely you can see a dent that shows that the dampener was not too far from breaking in half.

·
Vendor
4,668 Posts
This is the broken part. Hopefully the picture will come through.

The break is easy to see on the bottom side. If you look closely you can see a dent that shows that the dampener was not too far from breaking in half.
My opinion is that it's integrity is compromised (won't last...i.e. weak). My offer still stands. I know your not asking for a hand out but if you want (just say so), I will send you a couple of the caps that I have laying around to replace your broken one (keep the rubber cushin though) as my "spare" caps are lacking the rubber cushin.

·
silent but deadly
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My opinion is that it's integrity is compromised (won't last...i.e. weak). My offer still stands. I know your not asking for a hand out but if you want (just say so), I will send you a couple of the caps that I have laying around to replace your broken one (keep the rubber cushin though) as my "spare" caps are lacking the rubber cushin.
I will gladly accept a cap. I need to take a look at the part though in order to make sure the cushion is not permanantly glued to the broken cap. I agree with you that the integrity of the part is compromised. I can only assume that after a few shots the vibrations making their way down that 70# limb would cause the cap to break completely.

·
Vendor
4,668 Posts
I will gladly accept a cap. I need to take a look at the part though in order to make sure the cushion is not permanantly glued to the broken cap. I agree with you that the integrity of the part is compromised. I can only assume that after a few shots the vibrations making their way down that 70# limb would cause the cap to break completely.
You can use just about anything as buffer. You can get some rubber matt at the hardware store I believe. If you want a couple caps PM me your address and I will dropem in the mail tomorrow.

·
silent but deadly
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to give a huge thank you to Scepterman. I know the part is trivial to most, but he helped me in a big way.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Revv
I don't know what kind of bow you have but limb savers are mostly aftrmarket and not required on a bow. Guys add them to quiet and noise or vibration for hunting. A real quick fix is to just take them off. Those look to be very old models, if you come into any coin, the new quads work well. FYI, the link goes to the new dampeners and are for solid limbs, you look to have a split limb bow.

Ches.

·
silent but deadly
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Revv
I don't know what kind of bow you have but limb savers are mostly aftrmarket and not required on a bow. Guys add them to quiet and noise or vibration for hunting. A real quick fix is to just take them off. Those look to be very old models, if you come into any coin, the new quads work well. FYI, the link goes to the new dampeners and are for solid limbs, you look to have a split limb bow.

Ches.
These dampeners are dated. Everything on the bow can be dated back to 2007. I went from a serious archer to a non-shooter for about 6 years.

Your answer was exactly what I was looking for. I knew that the dampeners slowed vibration, but I wasn't sure how everything would work with split limbs without a dampener.

When I was shooting everyday I never touched anything on my bow. Life was different to a large degree. I had a shop do all the work for me. When my 10 year old mentioned shooting her grandparents presented her with a bow for Christmas. She is a natural shooter, but began losing interest when there was no one to shoot with her. I refused to let her become discouraged due to the lack of a shooting partner.

After years of my bow sitting in the closet at my parents house, I dusted it off and was forced to learn how to shoot, tune, and maintain my bow. The days of going to the shop are over. Right now I am one of many looking for work. I was a pastor for 12 years. I decided to take a break and finish my PhD with the thoughts that I would be able to easily find another job. I was wrong. Luckily I have been a dedicated musician since my childhood (yes, as a child I was spoiled rotten) and have been able to work as a session artist. My wife and I have also been able to do custom and designer cakes (sculptures more than anything) and catering.

As Murphy's Law states, "If it can go wrong, it will". In two months time I had a nock break on an old arrow and my bow exploded. When the shop put the string and cables back on the bow was a disaster. I took the bow back only to find that things were worse than before. The people here taught me many invaluable lessons on bow tuning and I got the bow back to shooting perfect groups at 20 yards again. As soon as the bow was tuned I broke the guide rod (it was an accident, but one that I feel should have been avoided). I emailed Bear to get a part number and they sent a rod over without asking a question, and refused to let me pay a dime.

The most recent setback was the dampener. I started this post with a question. That question turned into a generous offer from Scepterman. I truly feel blessed to be a part of this board.

When I first dusted off my bow I had visions of taking a turkey home with it. That never happened. I have two daughters and they come first. If I had my personal choice I would have purchased a new Bear and been in the field. Instead I spent my time providing for, and supporting my girls. My wants were easily put to the side.

What I do know is that I will have an extremely excited little girl when she gets home from school to see my bow out, waxed and ready to shoot.

This isn't a "Poor me", let's have a pity party post. It is just the opposite. I am feeling blessed despite the amount of whining I could do. Whining has never made progress though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts