Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to buy a used PSE Vengance and there is some rust on the limb screws. Is there any place i can go to get replacements, or how do i remove the rust. Thanks, Steven

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
Bolt Rust

Most likely, it is just surface rust. Put some masking tape around the bolt to protect the limb camo. If you have a Dremel tool, take a wire wheel on medium setting and remove the rust. If not, take a scrub pad and go to town on it. If not, you might have to live with it. After all, it shouldn't affect the shootability of the bow. For replacements bolts, you would have to go to a PSE dealer. But, he will charge you labor to press the bow and replace bolts. I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
A placre like Fastenal will have these bolts. You just need to know the type of bolt, length and thread pattern to get them. Thread pattern shouldn't be an issue as all bolt today are the same. You need only be concerned with the length.

Any decent bow shop should have them too, as they are part of almost any bow repair kit a lot of dealers have. Whether your shop is one of them or not is the question. It certainly does not need to be a PSE dealer.

Whether the bow will need to be pressed is not for me to answer. There are a few brands that can be disassebled without the use of a press, but I don't know if PSE is one of them.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
if you do pull the bolts or replace them coat the threads with string wax, this will help keep them from rusting in the riser, you can also cost the bolt heads with wax, flitz, semichrome or similar substance,, wax is the handiest and easiest to use

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Try rubbing some string wax on the head. More than likely it is just surface rust like the other respondant said. The string wax will prevent rust and clean up the appearance if it is just a little surface rust. If it isn't surface rust, get replacements from a dealer. The head of limb bolts is usually not a common sized fastener and it will not likely be found at Fastenal or hardware stores. (I used to be a fastener salesman.) Be sure to use string wax on the threads and on the heads before installing. The wax will prevent rust, prevent seizure and prevent the screw from vibrating loose.;)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Try rubbing some string wax on the head. More than likely it is just surface rust like the other respondant said. The string wax will prevent rust and clean up the appearance if it is just a little surface rust. If it isn't surface rust, get replacements from a dealer. The head of limb bolts is usually not a common sized fastener and it will not likely be found at Fastenal or hardware stores. (I used to be a fastener salesman.) Be sure to use string wax on the threads and on the heads before installing. The wax will prevent rust, prevent seizure and prevent the screw from vibrating loose.;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts