Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
In a q & a video on instagram, Griv said how much you can back out your limb bolt without effecting accuracy is in direct relation to the limb design. A limb with some curve in it can still hold more string tension as you screw out the bolt than a straight limb will.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wrong again! The only performance change is speed obviously since you’re lowering poundage. It certainly will feel better since it’s lower draw, sound is not affected by bottomed out limbs if you’ve done your job making the bow quiet.
You haven’t done any testing obviously. I’ve taken 2 of the same bow, backed one off, and maxed the other one out. The maxed out one is better in every way. But whatever you think what you want. You are clueless.

·
Shootin and Cussin
23,905 Posts
According to John Dudley, it does change the draw length to some degree, so if you back out the limbs the dl should get longer. He had a video on it, he said you can twist up the string a little to bring it back in
Right. We worked on things like that back in the 1980's.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
what makes the difference in how a bow shoots with reduced draw weight, isn't the draw weight. the draw weight is going to propel the arrow as fast as it can for whatever given draw weight the bow is set to. what matters, is "tension in the rig". as draw weight goes down, tension in the rig goes down and allows the string to travel in less than optimal pathway or "plane of thrust". with lots of tension in the rig from the limbs being maxed out, the rig travels in straighter, less wavy planes and is there for more consistent and more predictable......eg,....better functioning,.... more efficiency. the biggest factor, is how much tension there is in the rig with the bow at brace. the higher that tension, the cleaner the arrow leaves the string when everything comes to a screech stop. in introduction of string stops were specifically designed with this in mind. it was a way to get a bow to be more consistent at lower, more shootable draw weights,....IOW,....shoot good with the limbs not cranked down tight and the rig at maximum tension.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have an old bow from the 90's that I backed out about 5 lbs more than its maximum recommended. The string at brace height was pretty floppy. I can't say for sure how much this affected accuracy, but it seems that it definitely subtracted a bit from useful string travel. DL was set at 28" BH was 8" Of the remaining 20" of string travel I would say 3 of those inches were doing very little to power the arrow, and so I suspect the efficiency was way down. Of course the OP isn't asking about backing off to the max but taken to an extreme, I would say it makes a difference.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I thought it was only a matter of efficiency (though maybe not a lot of difference). For example everything else being equal (bow model arrow weight string etc.) , I have heard a 50lb bow will shoot faster than a 60lb backed down to 50lb.

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
As was mentioned above, draw length changes due to brace height changes are probably the biggest thing to consider. I have a couple bows with VERY preloaded limbs, draw length/brace height changes almost 1/2" through the weight range.
Though minimal... there have been tests showing that heavier limbs backed out, compared to lighter limbs maxed are actually a little faster. Again.. minimal differences and probably not even noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G532M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,260 Posts
I thought it was only a matter of efficiency (though maybe not a lot of difference). For example everything else being equal (bow model arrow weight string etc.) , I have heard a 50lb bow will shoot faster than a 60lb backed down to 50lb.
There have been tests actually showing the opposite results.

Sent from my SM-G532M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
although the peak draw weight may be the same,....the heavier, stiffer limbs of a 60lb. bow, set at 50lbs. will be more reactive than 50 lbs limbs maxed out. therefore,... the 60 lb. limbs will have a slight advantage in arrow speed because thier heavier cross section will want to straighten out quicker.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,459 Posts
Yeah it still works....... you’re not getting mad performance, max ability out of the bow. If that’s ok with you then fine. All the guys I know want the best performance, feeling, quiet bow they can get. You don’t achieve that by backing off limb bolts. Car still runs too with a couple missing spark plugs.
I don't think the Poster was interested in all performance, but more will turning down draw weight hurt...........I don't see anyone agreeing with you.

Personally, I haven't owned a bow that I haven't turned down draw weight - placed and won more times than I can actually count, but over 200 time (maybe 300) in 15 year of competing club and state sanctioned events, plus put over 40 deer in the freezer.

You turn a bow down you tune for it. Big Deal.

Reactions: RossRagan

·
Back Yard Champion
29,459 Posts
deleted double post

·
Registered
11,799 Posts
I have shot a couple bows turned out a hair, and they were just as easy to tune and just as accurate. My triax maxed at 73# and I shot that bow right at 70# and that bow tuned easy out of the box... those damn zebras though...

my Mach 1 also bottoms out at 73#, and I hadn’t shot a compound for about a year when I got it (shot my recurve only) I backed it out for a bit getting back in the groove, and it tuned easy and shot great... I thought I was shooting like low-mid 60’s, but was probably 70ish. It’s a pleasure to shoot at 73#, I just figured I would need to get rid of some rust, but that evolve cam made it easy

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't think the Poster was interested in all performance, but more will turning down draw weight hurt...........I don't see anyone agreeing with you.

Personally, I haven't owned a bow that I haven't turned down draw weight - placed and won more times than I can actually count, but over 200 time (maybe 300) in 15 year of competing club and state sanctioned events, plus put over 40 deer in the freezer.

You turn a bow down you tune for it. Big Deal.
You just don’t grasp the concept of technology and or efficiency. As I stated before, any bow can shoot at 20 yards with little to no tuning. Start shooting longer and see what happens then. Too man old head ways here, trying to use that on 2021 bows. Just doesn’t mix.

·
Registered
50,776 Posts
You just don’t grasp the concept of technology and or efficiency. As I stated before, any bow can shoot at 20 yards with little to no tuning. Start shooting longer and see what happens then. Too man old head ways here, trying to use that on 2021 bows. Just doesn’t mix.
Been here 16 days with 24 posts and you have all the answers!!!!!! You asked, don't like the answers. Good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Been here 16 days with 24 posts and you have all the answers!!!!!! You asked, don't like the answers. Good luck!
Just because you say it or that Sonny guy says it. DOESN’T make it so...... the FACT is, the data speaks for itself, if you and him want to try to lead the younger generation down the wrong path. Just because you don’t want to advance in this sport. Well that’s just not right, no reason you should be poisoning people who could potentially be involved in this sport long after you’re gone.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts