Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the drill what feels comfortable and shoots well for you, go for it. I was curious as to how these three bows compare. They are not of the big 3 and don't recall a comparison like this.

Open to see what everyone thinks....This is not meant to start a feud...:wink:
Just sounded like a good topic.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have shot all 3 and I like the Elite best. The Limbsaver is just kind of weird looking to me and I expected it to be quieter. The Athens, I liked everything about this bow except for the grip. The arrow shelf is 2 pieces and it just hurt my hand ,also it wouldn't hurt for them to round the edges of the riser more in the grip area.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
I havent shot the Limbsaver bows so I cant say anything on them....I've owned a few Elites though and now shoot an Athens. Elite makes a heck of a bow, well made, good shooters & good looking, I wont say anything bad about their bows.
But for me the Athens won out, though they are similar bows I prefer my Athens over the Elite's I've owned because of the draw cycle...To me the Athens draws alot smoother with alot less buildup than the Elite's did yet still remains pretty dang fast. I love the Athens bows and cant wait to get the new Athens eXceed 300 in, with the redesigned grip & shelf it will be a winner for sure and Athens is an awesome company who cares about their customers...I cant say that for every company out there today.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a chance to be on the Athens field staff and had to pass...Curiosity more than anything on how the 3 stack up. I'm shooting a 2002 Hoyt Magnatec now that I can hold a 3 inch group pretty well at 30 yards. Any of the newer bows will most likely shoot smother with less viration etc.

·
Registered
620 Posts
havent shot elite or athens but IMO i never will because they are binary systems. the limbsaver is an awesome bow! youll get passed the looks and start to wander why the bows dont all look like that. it is a bit louder but timed and tuned correctly the smoothness and completly shock free feel makes up for it. cant go wrong with the limbsavers

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
All 3 make great bows! Only one i have not shot yet is an Athens! I will definitely keep them in mind when im in the market for a new bow!

Currently, my choice is elite though. I shot them all earlier in the year....and my Elite was by far the best bow i shot!

·
Registered
955 Posts
I also have 0 experience with Limbsaver. Both the Athens and Elite are very similar in many ways. Biggest differance is in the grip area. Although the Athens takes a little getting used to in the beginning, it is very repeatable and I have come to prefer it. Also, Athens customer service is second to none. Good luck.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
never shot an athens, have owned both elite and limbsaver,, liked them both the limb saver was a tad heavy, both shot great.. and my limbsaver was very very quiet

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
havent shot elite or athens but IMO i never will because they are binary systems. the limbsaver is an awesome bow! youll get passed the looks and start to wander why the bows dont all look like that. it is a bit louder but timed and tuned correctly the smoothness and completly shock free feel makes up for it. cant go wrong with the limbsavers
Try an Athens...I was never a fan of "binary" cams either until I got my Athens. They are alot smoother drawing than any of the other ones I've shot.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I have not shot an elite yet and out of the Athens and Limbsaver I would choose the Athens. The only thing I'm not overly crazy about on the Athens is it was a little noisy but I think I could remedy that. The Limbsaver grip was to big a lot like old mathews, the bow was to heavy for my liking, and it was so ugly it actually HURT!

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
I have not shot an elite yet and out of the Athens and Limbsaver I would choose the Athens. The only thing I'm not overly crazy about on the Athens is it was a little noisy but I think I could remedy that. The Limbsaver grip was to big a lot like old mathews, the bow was to heavy for my liking, and it was so ugly it actually HURT!
I've heard very few people say any of the Athens bows were loud..All the guys I've shot with since I've had my Athens have all said it was one of the quietest bows they've heard.

·
Banned
9,743 Posts
I've heard very few people say any of the Athens bows were loud..All the guys I've shot with since I've had my Athens have all said it was one of the quietest bows they've heard.

Mine was one of the quitest bows I have owned...and all the ones prior were single cam...except for a Martin Firecat.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I'm not on anyone's pro-staff and I prefer the Elite, why? simple, no-one carries the Athens downunder :darkbeer: Limbsavers are ok, but the fit and finish of the Elite Synergy X won me over.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
i've shot the limbsaver and owned both the elite and am on the athens staff.
i personally did not think the limbsaver was that good a bow,heavy,kind of ugly and not as smooth as a lot of bows out there.definatly not a 700.00 bow. now the elite's, ive owned 3 and never ever thought i'd part with my z28, so i thought.
probably one of the best bows i've ever owned.i would highly recomend an elite to anyone. then i shot an athens,was able to get on staff and full steam ahead.the accomplice was the only bow i've shot that made me sell the z28.i wanted the 32 and the 34.either choice between these 2 is a good one and i think you'll be happy with either. good luck.if you want any specifics between the 2 just pm me and i'll be happy to share my comparisons.:)

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Again I said I think I could remedy this. I think the B stinger on the bow I shot contributed to "thunk" noise on my buddies. If it were mine I would stick a doinker on it, and maybe a couple of other quieting devices.

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,204 Posts
I have a Limbsaver Speedzone, some call it ugly, to me "what is a bow suppose to look like? :confused:

It still finds the X and still harvests animals, so looks don't really mean much to a target or an animal.

The bow shoots great, I don't think its all that heavy and it comes with a set to side plates if you opt to replace the stock wood grip.

Zero vibration, zero hand shock and shoots awesome. Probably one of the most overlooked bow makers out there.

Shoot their line up, you will be impressed.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Again I said I think I could remedy this. I think the B stinger on the bow I shot contributed to "thunk" noise on my buddies. If it were mine I would stick a doinker on it, and maybe a couple of other quieting devices.
Have your buddy take a look at his Anchor string stopper. It may be the source of the thunk. I had to put a little blue loctite on the threads of mine. It would loosen and cause vib and a thunk.

As far as comparing the the three. I've only shot the Athens so I can't offer an informed opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Have your buddy take a look at his Anchor string stopper. It may be the source of the thunk. I had to put a little blue loctite on the threads of mine. It would loosen and cause vib and a thunk.

As far as comparing the the three. I've only shot the Athens so I can't offer an informed opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Will do! He's probably reading this thread:wink:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I have never shot the limbsaver, so I can't speak about them. However, I have owned several Elites. When I was shooting them I thought that I would be shooting their line for a very long time. They make a great bow and I have never had any problems with them. With that being said, I got the opporunity to try an Athens. I couldn't believe it, but I think my Accomplice draws even easier than my Elite. Some have said comments about the grip. I actually prefer the Athens grip better. I don't have to bend my wrist as far and I seem to be able to get a more repeatable grip as well.

Both companies seem to have good customer service. However, my experieince with Athens thus far has been exceptional. Great people to deal with.

I also think they may have a very good seller in the eXceed 300 they have coming out.

My vote.....Athens Archery.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I put this thread up just to get opinions on how these stack up against the big 3. I'm not one to buy a product because of glitz and marketing and pick up the tab for all that marketing and TV Pro cost. I would rather spend my money on a bow that can do the job, quickly, quietly and efficiently. This being my first season with a bow, that I bought used on AT, I was curious if the extra $300-$500+, is worth it to have the Hoyt, Mathews, PSE, Bowtech name tag?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts