Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just for kicks I bought a set of Limbsaver UltraMax dampers for my destroyer. Not because its loud but just to see if I could make it even quieter. No differnce that I or the other 2 guys could tell. Nothing. This was at 20 yards. This is with a Octane stab with 2 limbsaver mods on the end, and 2 mini limbsavers on the flexguard and everything else stock. I'll step it out to 50 yards this weekend cause all I am probley able to here is the arrow stricking the bag. But on focusing on the shot I can't tell anything.
By the way this bow is already pretty quiet and has little enough vibe to be undetectable by ME. I may report back saturday with differnt findings, but was I expecting to much?

74,554 Posts
Limbsavers is a good product. They do work well for most things. Not sure what you were exspecting.

They take vibration and help make bows quieter for most bows in my exsperiance.
DB

· Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am human, not a scientific test at all, but at 20 yards, inside and nice and quiet I couldn't tell anything. There is so little vibe that I really couldn't tell if it pulled any out. I could tell when I pulled the Limbsaver Mods for the modular stab off. I really didn't expect much because there wasn't much to do. The minys pulled most of the vibe out of the flexguard, the mods pulled anything left out, so I was just going for quiet. Like I said I will try these at longer range this weekend to see if the bow is quieter when I cant hear the arrow hitting. Honestly the time from release to arrow sound bouncing back is under a quarter second, so I may very well be hearing that. I will continue to test this with my ******* tools of arrows and ears.

· Registered
4,023 Posts
Your only going to get it so quite to begin with..so..unless you had some undue noise starting off..I doubt you accomplish much. Best way to see is to use a dedicated instrument pick up instead of your ears..this way you can actually measure the difference..If you have a Android or I-Phone..there are apps on both markets for doing just this..These certainly aren't the greatest but will give a better reading than your ears..

Mac

· Registered
3,319 Posts
I have all the same stuff on my D350, except I have the Ultra Quads on my limbs. Just like you the difference wasn't huge, but every little bit helps. I do notice a difference with the String Leeches. Recently I tried the StringJax because my Leeches ripped, and the guy at the local shop said the Jax were ten times more durable, 2 weeks later they've ripped and I'm back to Leeches and notice the difference, albeit just a little. If you want to feel good about your purchase take it all off and shoot, then you'll notice the difference!!

· Registered
3,857 Posts
Your bow is already designed to be smooth , fast and quiet.... don't expect any type of suppressor to make a huge difference.

If You really want to test savers ...get yourself a 10year old coumpound , tune , shoot it .....then add leeches , savers and all other doo-hickeys. All silencers work good as long as they have something to work with ;)

· Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your bow is already designed to be smooth , fast and quiet.... don't expect any type of suppressor to make a huge difference.

If You really want to test savers ...get yourself a 10year old coumpound , tune , shoot it .....then add leeches , savers and all other doo-hickeys. All silencers work good as long as they have something to work with ;)
Did that with my 96 Fury. The Limbsave X-coil made a huge differnce. The Limbsaver Ultramax helped some, then my brother took it all off and put it on his Diamond. Didn't try the leaches. String stop was going to be next. ETA: not the Maxs, I have no idea how to get em off.

I am NOT saying they are bad. Not at all. Just was wondering how much could do before the point of deminishing returns.
I did shoot the bow before and after adding the limbsavers. Like seconds before. I may be able to tell ore after shooting it farther. I do have a I-Phone so I may try this.

· Registered
3,857 Posts
One thing i found helpful testing different products was standing close to a wall while shooting long distance . Another thing worth a try is a laptop with good sound editing software , with at least couple of mikes hooked up to it. This way You can measure true Db's output of a bow , rather than trusting own ears. Make sure You take a lot of sample shots on both setups . I'm blessed with buddies who run their own DJ studios ( or whatever it's called ) ..all the equipment is there , i just invade and take over whenever i feel like it.... guess i'm lucky. ( btw... old vinyls make up for helluva targets heheh )

The wall method is by far the quickest way to tell , not scientific by any means but You will notice the difference with sound more or less. I did it with D350 2 days before i sold it .... i have not added anything to mine after testing , - it was quiet enough for my likings.

Good luck

· Registered
4,148 Posts
When I got my new bow (Vendetta XS) I put Limbsaver Super quads on it and it did a good job of quieting the bow. With this being said I was testing the Destroyer 350 vs Vendetta XS while trying to choose (chose Vendetta just because it felt the best to me) but I will say that the Destroyer was trully a silent death bow. I don't know if anything added to the limbs would help it because the one I shot did not need it. For what's it worth it was one sweet bow, just not my cup of tea.

· Registered
4,214 Posts
The monkey tails worked very well on my 350 last year. I could instantly tell the difference in feel and sound. So, something on the string may be the answer for you.

· Registered
4,148 Posts
The monkey tails worked very well on my 350 last year. I could instantly tell the difference in feel and sound. So, something on the string may be the answer for you.
To add to my post, the Destroyer I shot in the shop did have monkey tails on the strings as well so I agree wih this statement.

· Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So do you not bother on a already quiet bow? I took care of the little vibe it had. I think the most noise out of it now is the rest falling. I just did it to see if I could gain a noticable amount. If you got to use gear to tell its quiet enough. I just expected something out of em. Like I said I will try it at longer range to pull arrow inpact sound out of it.

· Registered
55,478 Posts
Your expecting too much-------do they work and help--------IMHO this a no brainier, yes----there is not one bow on the market in the last 10 years that I have found where they don't work. Don't over think it, they are working for you in other ways beside the noise part. The more vibration you eliminate the more wear and tear your taking off things. Yes they are a silencer but think about the name attached to them---LIMBSAVER.

· Shootingairborne
11,358 Posts
I have all the same stuff on my D350, except I have the Ultra Quads on my limbs. Just like you the difference wasn't huge, but every little bit helps. I do notice a difference with the String Leeches. Recently I tried the StringJax because my Leeches ripped, and the guy at the local shop said the Jax were ten times more durable, 2 weeks later they've ripped and I'm back to Leeches and notice the difference, albeit just a little. If you want to feel good about your purchase take it all off and shoot, then you'll notice the difference!!
for durablity go with plain cat wiskers or spider legs on the string. :)

· Anti Fanboy
49,908 Posts
I agree with Dale. They do remove vibration quite well IF you bow had any to speak of to begin with. Not sure what you are expecting on this but many of us know they do a good job. Main reason I even use them is to SAVE WEAR AND TEAR ON MY LIMBS and noise and vibration reduction.

· Registered
1,763 Posts
Not trying to be a smart ____. Do you expect your bow to be louder or have more vibration at 50 yards?

· Registered
1,439 Posts
You're expecting to much-yes I had a 2010 Diamond Iceman FLX and it was already completely quiet/vibe free to start so when I put the limbsavers on I could tell no difference what's so ever limbsavers work I've tried em on other bows but any difference is gonna be very small so yes-I'd say you're expecting to much

· Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Being a man of my word I went out and shot the bow at 40 and 50 yards out doors. There was a little wind but I shot from inside a barn out to the target just like last time. I got a touch of crow to eat here. The limb savers are quieter. My bow is now quieter than my brothers Diamond Liberty, and it wasn't before. Now to put limbsavers on his bow so its even quieter. But indoors I still stand by its hard to tell. This was never ment to be a scientific test, just more trying to see if I was expecting to much. I know this bow is pretty quiet already, but I also thought that if any modern bow could use it, the destroyer as a speed bow could. It did offer some amount of noise reduction, but not any vibe, which as I stated before it has as close to none as I can tell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.