Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy gave me a few of these.

Believe there called grim Reapers.

Give me an honest opionion. Never have been much for mechanicals.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good for mechanicals...

DB,

They are the only mechanicals I carry... but I still prefer a cut on contact broadhead for most things.

Those grim reapers fly great and do massive damage to deer. That I have seen first hand.

Just my .02... good luck!

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks for the advice

Razkul99 said:
DB,

They are the only mechanicals I carry... but I still prefer a cut on contact broadhead for most things.

Those grim reapers fly great and do massive damage to deer. That I have seen first hand.

Just my .02... good luck!
Any others.:tongue: Be 100% honest, you wont hurt my feelings.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Used the Reapers for the last two years. They worked great for me. Took several deer with them during that time and not one got more than 60 yards before going down. Most were in the 40 yard range. Only had one failure and that was on a spine shoot, one blade broke off. However the results were deer on the ground and for me that Reaper did its job. Will be using them again this year as well as trying out some Wac Ems.

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
Check out the thread
Bad shot or Bad Broadhead? GRAPHIC PICS
by skynight.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Reapers

I really like my Reapers. I'm impressed with their durability and the damage they inflict. As for the "Bad shot or bad broadhead" post...A shoulder shot and still a dead goat in less than 100 yards. How much more can you really ask from a BH?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Daniel Boone said:
Buddy gave me a few of these.

Believe there called grim Reapers.

Give me an honest opionion. Never have been much for mechanicals.

never used them,but as with all heads it all about placement.never met any mechanical that didnt fly well,so i feel with a good shot they will do fine,although i prefer an all steel head instead of all that aluminum. it's just their durablity is what would concern me....just .02

maxx

·
Registered
14,717 Posts
I don't understand why on Mechanicals they make the blades stop sticking almost stright out, if they were layed back more looks to me it would be alot better head...more pass throughs,,,,,i have shot 3 deer with rockets and never had more than 6 inches of blood on the shaft....they all died with in 30 yds but i like my arrow laying on the other side....so i went back to wasps sst hamers.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
DB, my pro shop highly recommends them. They did some extensive testing with them and they perform very well.

Dave

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info

Think I will give them a try. I have several deer on the wall and kept the broadhead from most with an arrow. All are different but did the job. Accuracy is the key.
DB

·
10,241 Posts
I think I posted something to this effect in the thread started by skynight.

I expect a scapula shot to result in poor penetration. I expect it to break my arrow shaft.

I even expect it to bend the ferrule and the blades. But if the blades break off, I will never use that model of broadhead again.

That is an unforgivable design flaw. No matter what the head punches into, the blades should stay on the head!

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point

copterdoc said:
I think I posted something to this effect in the thread started by skynight.

I expect a scapula shot to result in poor penetration. I expect it to break my arrow shaft.

I even expect it to bend the ferrule and the blades. But if the blades break off, I will never use that model of broadhead again.

That is an unforgivable design flaw. No matter what the head punches into, the blades should stay on the head!
I know I have shot mechanical jack Hammrs into steal barrells and they didnt break. JUst a test me and some of my buddies have tried. Thanks for the honesty. Maybe save these for turkey season:rolleyes:
DB

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
DB,
My buddy just got back from CO and shot his first elk ever with one. He hit her 1/4 away and the arrow pushed out the other side through the cartlidge part of the shoulder blade. He likes them. She only ran 50 yards.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Lots of fellars like those. The only consistent beef I have been aware of is the ferrules were kind of soft on them. That was early on and may have been corrected though...

Good hunting, Tim

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
Put it through both lungs and most likely you'll see it go down.

·
74,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now that what I want to hear

keep said:
DB,
My buddy just got back from CO and shot his first elk ever with one. He hit her 1/4 away and the arrow pushed out the other side through the cartlidge part of the shoulder blade. He likes them. She only ran 50 yards.
But to be honest I like to hear both pro and cons. I appreciate both sides and looks like there more that relly like these than dont. I was told there very popular at my local pro shop as well. Usaully if something doesnt work the word spreads quickly.
DB

·
Michigander R.I.P.
5,492 Posts
I have used them for 3 seasons. I shoot them in the open position most of the time. It is the biggest diameter I can find for a fixed blade. 2 years ago I shot 2 of them(in the close postion) thru a brand new 55 gallon drum. One of those for hazordous waste, they are heavier than the average drum. I used my BlackKnight. Passed thru both sides of the drum. The results where the same both times lost 1 razor tip blade and 1 main blade. I thought that was a pretty good performance for a mechanical. I have used them several times in the closed position also, they have always opened for me. Just like any other mechanical, when you put it on your shaft inspect the blades and make sure they open with ease.

They really shoot well in the open position. The blade have very little sail. And they sit rite on top of the insert, this also helps. Less chance of having a flier because the head didn't spin true.

I found the will shoot thru the netting on my T2 very well. Not so with the Matrix, netting is to loose. I

f your shooting 70lbs of KE, try the 1 3/4" cut(can't shoot these in the open position). If not stick with the origanal 1 3/8ths.

I'm not going to mention any names, but a fixed blade head that I have been using for years is out of the picture. Heads won't spin and some of the blades where not even close to being sharp. So I will be shooting strictly the GrimReapers this year.

I would just like to add one more thing. Not having a rubberband to hold the blade close, you can check to make sure your blades move freely everytime you noc your arrow.

·
10,241 Posts
The results where the same both times lost 1 razor tip blade and 1 main blade. I thought that was a pretty good performance for a mechanical.
How can blades breaking off be considered good performance? That is total broadhead failure in my book.

What damage would you consider unacceptable?

·
Michigander R.I.P.
5,492 Posts
Your opinion is your opinion. Have a nice day. I refuse to get into a debate with your agenda.

·
10,241 Posts
I am not trying to debate with you. I want to know what would have to happen to a broadhead for you to consider it a failure.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts