Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read some posts about small deer being shot. Some folks seemed to not like the idea of shooting young deer. As long as a person stays within the law, it sems like a matter of personal choice. I've hunted when you were only allowed bucks with 3" antlers. I used to drive 6 hours to Elk County PA for a week of deer season and sat for entire days and not seen a single buck, it was still a great time, but I often wanted to paint horns on something. Heck, the notion of shooting a doe was considered unethical 30 years ago around here.

Now we're allowed to kill unlimited numbers of doe and extra buck tags are $10 a piece. We have to kill 2 doe between each buck we take. I have permission to hunt several properties for the single purpose of killing deer--any deer. They expect us to produce. My son and I took 16 deer last year, 13 with bow, and there is no shortage of bucks around here. I guess it all depends on where you live and what the deer population is like. We donated much of the meat and processed a few at home to keep. So, enjoy the sport the way you choose in your own area. Shoot big bucks, shoot little buttons, just make clean kills and honor the animal by using the meat.

I have a couple deer mounts on my walls, but I don't invest much energy in trying to create/grow deer with big horns. I respect guys who are trophy hunters, and I expect the same. I hope you aren't on properties next to me though--you're bound to get a bad attitude.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts