Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, I am in no way blaming my recent "issues" on the S4 lizard; however, I did notice something yesterday that raises a question.

When I first got the bow, I didn't pay any attention to the relationship between the limbs and the limb pockets. To get to the desired dw of 50 lbs, I backed each limb off the same amount, in 1/2 turn increments.

Yesterday, I noticed that the bottom of top limb is completely out of the pocket while the bottom of the bottom limb is still in the pocket. Using an arrow, I measured from the inside of each limb pocket to the string and they both measure the "same", so the tiller appears to be correct.

On the night that Jarlicker helped me tune the bow, he suggested that I install a couple of set screws to lock down the limb bolts. I hadn't thought of that again until I noticed this "issue" last night.

Is there a chance that the top limb bolt has backed off? If so, wouldn't the tiller measure different between the top and bottom? BTW: I don't have a scale at home so couldn't verify that the draw weight is the same.

Thanks

· Registered
8,684 Posts
First, I am in no way blaming my recent "issues" on the S4 lizard; however, I did notice something yesterday that raises a question.

When I first got the bow, I didn't pay any attention to the relationship between the limbs and the limb pockets. To get to the desired dw of 50 lbs, I backed each limb off the same amount, in 1/2 turn increments.

Yesterday, I noticed that the bottom of top limb is completely out of the pocket while the bottom of the bottom limb is still in the pocket. Using an arrow, I measured from the inside of each limb pocket to the string and they both measure the "same", so the tiller appears to be correct.

On the night that Jarlicker helped me tune the bow, he suggested that I install a couple of set screws to lock down the limb bolts. I hadn't thought of that again until I noticed this "issue" last night.

Is there a chance that the top limb bolt has backed off? If so, wouldn't the tiller measure different between the top and bottom? BTW: I don't have a scale at home so could verify that the draw weight is the same.

Thanks

if one limb isn't in the pocket like the other, that would cause the limbs to rebound and vbibrate different, It could cause arrow spray.

only thing to do is install the limbs back into the limb pockets make sure they stay seated and comence test shooting again. hopfully your arrow spary will go back down to the normal amount.

· Registered
4,587 Posts
if one limb isn't in the pocket like the other, that would cause the limbs to rebound and vbibrate different, It could cause arrow spray.

only thing to do is install the limbs back into the limb pockets make sure they stay seated and comence test shooting again. hopfully your arrow spary will go back down to the normal amount.
That right there is funny, I don't care who you are!!!

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks Bees - this really doesn't look right and "might" explain some of the issues that seemed to happen all of a sudden. I did adjust the release so it is a little tighter after realizing what was causing the occasional "spray". It seemed to be happening when my pin was falling below the X - in an attempt to raise it, I was applying extra tension to the bow (pushing it up), thus causing the release to fire.

Maybe it's time to invest in a good scale AND install the set screws at JL suggested. I really believe I would have noticed this difference before had it always been that way.

· Registered
8,684 Posts
Thanks Bees - this really doesn't look right and "might" explain some of the issues that seemed to happen all of a sudden. I did adjust the release so it is a little tighter after realizing what was causing the occasional "spray". It seemed to be happening when my pin was falling below the X - in an attempt to raise it, I was applying extra tension to the bow (pushing it up), thus causing the release to fire.

Maybe it's time to invest in a good scale AND install the set screws at JL suggested. I really believe I would have noticed this difference before had it always been that way.
do you have a picture of the adnormality?
Can you get Jarlicker to look at it or Mac both would know what to do.

· Registered
4,587 Posts

· Registered
4,738 Posts
Both my s4's have slightly un-even tiller on the limbs when they are backed out the same. They shoot well that way so I have never been worried about it. Seeing that yours is the same makes me suspicious.

I suspect you have had a limb bolt backing out on you a little bit. I would bottom both limbs out and back them off the same amount to get your draw weight. Once you do, take measurements of the top limb tiller, bottom limb tiller and brace height. That way if it happens again you can put things back the way they're supposed to be in no time...

· Registered
2,359 Posts

ohhhhhh Bees... you have a way with words....and no decoder ring

needed...:lol::lol::lol:

· Archery is a Passion...
3,018 Posts
This post has to win "Title of the Year"...

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Sounds like PSE kharma. This is what happens when you turn your back on the "MOJO":wink:
I was wondering when you were going to chime in. :wink: MOJO is still in the stable!

when your up to your butt in alligators it is hard to remember that your mission was to drain the swamp.. :):):)
You got that right! Trying to sort thru 19535 client posts for Sept and figure out why 6 of them were duplicated. These posts can be entered via either the web or telephone and can be edited via the web.

· Administrator
65,646 Posts
Both my s4's have slightly un-even tiller on the limbs when they are backed out the same. They shoot well that way so I have never been worried about it. Seeing that yours is the same makes me suspicious.
All of my Martins have had uneven tiller when backed out the same.. I set the tiller and almost always have had to back out the lower more to get even tiller on both ends..

As mentioned, a 25 cent set screw (splurge and get two, one for each barrel nut) will do the trick for sure.. Bet that Mojo has a couple that would screw right in.. my old Primos has em. :wink: :thumb:

· Registered
101 Posts
huh...

I know I'm the new guy but I've gotta say ... I've never had any issues like this on my MATHEWS... just sayin is all! :icon_jokercolor:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.