Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the new slick tricks and i screwed them in my Axis shafts and shot them. They didnt shoot right with my field points, but a little to the left. This is okay with me, I dont mind, but I noticed that the farther I moved back, the farther my arrow drifted to the left. I decided to move my rest, instead of my sight. I moved my sight to the right and it got my arrow closer to the intended target, but it still drifts. What should I do? There is no funny arrow flight, like dipping, or cork screwing, my arrow just drifts. I finally got it where I can shoot an inch to the right at 10, dead on at 20 and about an inch to the left at 30. I dont plant on shooting past 30 yards, but it bothers me my arrow wont hit where I'm aiming. Should I chase my arrow to the left, by moving my rest to left until i catch up to it, then adjust my sight or what? I'm stumped on this one. Anyone encounter any problems like this. Thanks.

Justin

·
Registered
37 Posts
Which did you move, your rest or your sight? I would shoot several times and not go off just one group of arrows. An inch to the right or left could just be you. It sounds to me like you are doing just fine. What does it do at 40 yards?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have moved my rest, havent touched my sight because the drift was so noticable as I moved back, and my field points were dialed in tight. I havent shot it at 40 yards. I dont have the room too shot it at 40 yards , and i dont plan at shooting past 30 or so yards when hunting anyway. If the arrow followed the same pattern, it would be hitting about 3-4 inches to left. I dont think it is me, because i can consitently hit the same hole, its just the groups are in different spots. One group will be 1-2 inches further to the left of the other group. Moving my sight wouldnt accomplish anything except moving every group to the left or right. This has me stumped.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Justin, I would recommend walk-back tuning your bow with field points. After you get this set properly, you can then broadhead tune from there. I think your centershot needs adjusted.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doc, My fieldpoints were hairsplitting tuned. I was gettin 1-2 inch groups at 30 yards. I dont see how I could get any tighter then that. Pefect arrow flight, evyerthing. I put on my broadheads, they shot to the left, and drifted farther to the left as I moved back, probably about an inch every 10 yards.:confused:

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Doc said:
Justin, I would recommend walk-back tuning your bow with field points. After you get this set properly, you can then broadhead tune from there. I think your centershot needs adjusted.
Are you using a drop away?? If so, try using a helicol fletch, maybe getting some extra spinning will help:confused: but once you've walk back tuned, then group tune for BH, Easton has a very good tuning chart you can download. Hope this helps:darkbeer:

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahh hansel, once again you have found one of my tuning threads. I'm shooting blazers, I dont have a helical fletching jig, but I doubt I could get enough on tiwst on them to do much of anything. Yes, trophy taker drop away. Ill try to find the easton tuning chart. Thanks man.

Justin

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
If there was any crosswind to speak of that would explain your arrows drifting with broadheads.

An easy example of why broadheads are affected by wind more than fieldpoints, is to hold an arrow equiped with a fieldpoint in your fingertips at the CG (balance point). Gently blow on the side of the fieldpoint. Now do the same thing with a broadhead.

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
It is not a good idea to just screw on broadheads and start shooting. You need to spin-test each head on an arrow and mix and match until you get a set that spin straight with no wobble.

Just because an arrow/broadhead combination wobbles doesn't mean either one is bad. They just don't fit together right. The same head will work on a different arrow. The same arrow will work with a different head.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
HotShot88 said:
ahh hansel, once again you have found one of my tuning threads. I'm shooting blazers, I dont have a helical fletching jig, but I doubt I could get enough on tiwst on them to do much of anything. Yes, trophy taker drop away. Ill try to find the easton tuning chart. Thanks man.

Justin
I Have a blitz jig, so I can put some twist in mine. My Muzzy's are hitting right with the FT's, look for some contact:confused: if not maybe different BH:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
why was this thread moved? Just because it had to with broadheads???:confused: :confused: :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts