Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing if there's any guys from the east coast that make the long haul every year to hunt the west? What do you hunt and what kind of funds do you spend

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
we go west every yr. we usually find an outfitter that offers a semi dyi hunt. depends where you go on the expense. I would say typically we spend about 1500 a man. that's pretty much everything you can imagine. this yr will be alittle more because we are headed to Missouri for a rut whitetail hunt. we have only chased the whitetail. usually one of us is successful at putting some horn down. let me know if you have anymore questions. forgot to mention we all live in southern pa.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm from Delaware originally and like to hunt elk and mule deer when I was stationed in Colorado might be moving back so just trying to get ideas

·
Registered
674 Posts
I go out west every year to camp and hunt in that order. This will be 10 th year and I camp the whole month of September. Killed one cow elk in that time but have had more chances and blew them. I love it. Been to CO most but also NM and this year to MT. Always DIY and camp for free so I think about $300 in gas each way. Wife flies out for 2 weeks and that is around 500.

·
can I shoot it?
17,050 Posts
Well bud, don't have as long of a drive living in Iowa but try to go out west each year. West TX for Aoudad, Western NE or WY for goats, NM whenever I draw a tag and CO sometime when I don't (really pretty much done with CO for elk) certain units in CO for Mulies. Then there is Merriam's and Hogs and bears up north.

·
can I shoot it?
17,050 Posts
Funds for the trips differ each year, but considerably more (several times) what the others posting costs.

·
Registered
550 Posts
TN to CO every year. My in-laws own a couple thousand acres so I don't have to pay for a hotel or outfitter. Plus, the wife get's to be distracted by family while I hunt :wink:

·
can I shoot it?
17,050 Posts
That is what we do in Jan each year but only we travel to AZ for javelina and coues. Bowhunting the desert is awesome and amazing and like nothing else. Love my hunt down there each time we go.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
24,464 Posts
SE PA here ... have had the food fortune to travel as far West as western Montana along the Idaho border for Elk. Most recently been to SE KS the last few years...about 20 hour drive.

Joe

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
I probably travel the farthest being from Miami. Do it every year it seems. This year going to be hunting in Utah, California, and planning a Mexico coeus deer hunt in January now.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I travel to Colorado every yr in September for Elk hunting..
OTC DIY every time.. About 27 hr trip
Tag, fuel, food, prob avg 1100..

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm probably moving back home to Delaware and will probably plan a diy otc elk hunt next sept in Colorado any unit suggestions?

·
Comfort snob/elitist
2,980 Posts
I travel from RI to western Illinois every November, to a DIY outfitter, 21 hour drive.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I live in Ohio and typically hunt out west every year. I'll miss this year because I'm headed to Africa on my first safari in a week. I've hunted Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and Alberta Canada for Antelope, Muleys and Elk.
I drive to ALL of my hunts. Typically in the 20-24 hour range, Alberta was around 30hrs.

As for how much coin I've dropped, I really have no idea? Hunting is my passion and I'll spend whatever it takes ( in moderation ��)
Of course.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Forgot Illinois and Iowa for Whitetails as well.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I live in WNY and I have been to Colorado 4 times and now I go to Missouri or Illinois every year. Does going to my lease in Ohio count ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
If anyone is interested, we are selling a few bowhunts here in NE MO on our farm. 50 miles from Iowa and Illinois. With our neighbors we are managing over 3,000 contiguous acres.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts