Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Ill be getting one this year. Hopefully Ill never have to use it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Only downfall I see is it is 1 time use only. And for 80 bucks I think that is a bit much for 1 use. I understand it is your life we are talking about here but I think I will stick with the 30' climbing rope going from the bottom to the top of my sets.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
My thought was you really don't need to decent ...But, the hunter's saftey system is about that much as well...Then again I got a treesaddle it works as a stand or harrness and linemans belt ....So, I think it is a good thing to have ...

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't know it only worked once that kind of sucks. I agree that I am not sure if I would need it that much. I am pretty sure if I diggered out I could get back out of my stand.

·
Hard Horned
2,590 Posts
Didn't know it only worked once that kind of sucks. I agree that I am not sure if I would need it that much. I am pretty sure if I diggered out I could get back out of my stand.
for your sake, I hope you are right.

These things are worth their weight in gold.

·
Registered
15,576 Posts
I hunt alone a lot. I'm getting one....it will be priceless if I need it.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
how does it let you descend ? wasn't there some other harness that had a strap you pulled and you went down at your own speed that would brake your descent as you released the strap?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I am thinking about getting the livewire or down safe descent and have been reading all of the posts related to these products. I find it funny yet disturbing how many posters on here are saying 80 bucks is too much for a one time use. I personally have never fallen from a stand in 18 years....so had I bought this product 18 years ago that $80 bucks is damn cheap for 18 years. So I would hope you would only have to use it once! If you are falling out of a tree with some frequency don't get in a tree even if its in an elevator with a fully enclosed stand!

I think the 80 bucks is well worth the cost of life and given the frequency of falling out of a tree, or should be, is very low per hunter, I say the reason for not buying it being a one time use holds no water.

ALso, I really like the Mountaineer CDS system. Very smart and looks to be well built. However, I am thinking if i fell and hit my head on the tree or stand and pass out, then i won't be able to open the "brake" strap and lower myseld down. The spider livewire and down safe descender appears to be automatic...if you fall and get knocked out then you still descend anyway.

So................has anyone tried the spider livewire or downsafe and have any thoughts?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am thinking about getting the livewire or down safe descent and have been reading all of the posts related to these products. I find it funny yet disturbing how many posters on here are saying 80 bucks is too much for a one time use. I personally have never fallen from a stand in 18 years....so had I bought this product 18 years ago that $80 bucks is damn cheap for 18 years. So I would hope you would only have to use it once! If you are falling out of a tree with some frequency don't get in a tree even if its in an elevator with a fully enclosed stand!

I think the 80 bucks is well worth the cost of life and given the frequency of falling out of a tree, or should be, is very low per hunter, I say the reason for not buying it being a one time use holds no water.

ALso, I really like the Mountaineer CDS system. Very smart and looks to be well built. However, I am thinking if i fell and hit my head on the tree or stand and pass out, then i won't be able to open the "brake" strap and lower myseld down. The spider livewire and down safe descender appears to be automatic...if you fall and get knocked out then you still descend anyway.

So................has anyone tried the spider livewire or downsafe and have any thoughts?
I agree if you fell something went terribly wrong, and you just might not be able to operate the CDS system.....live wire requires no hands or shifting weight to operate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts