Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some but few opinions from various reviews and Q&A boards.. Wondering if anyone here has any experience...

I'm in the market for a deer cart. The Cabela's Super Mag or the Primal Vantage are the candidates at the moment as I like the big wheels and low center of gravity. The design seems perfect for the area I hunt. I hunt a fairly flat river bottom with a decent ATV trail going to my area about a mile and a quarter back. My only concern is how I'm gonna load it with a big deer by myself. I'm 5' 6" roughly 150# so not much caliber on my "guns" to work with.. I know there are two 120"ish 8 pts back there and a few big does so I am hoping to drop the string on something soon.

Just wondering if anyone has had to load this style of cart with a decent sized deer before on their own and if there are any pointers on how to do it.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Turn the cart on its side and lay right along the back of the deer. Tuck it up tight to the deer like they were spooning. Roll both the cart and the deer at the same time upright on to the wheels.

·
Silent Death
2,895 Posts
I usually just lay one end of the car at the head and drag the deer up onto it. If you can't man handle it onto the cart, carry a block and tackle setup to help with leverage.

·
<---Ride the Lightning
2,031 Posts
Turn the cart on its side and lay right along the back of the deer. Tuck it up tight to the deer like they were spooning. Roll both the cart and the deer at the same time upright on to the wheels.
Be careful doing this if your cart had plastic wheels. I did this and busted one of my wheels. It was a long drag out that day...

One great big festering neon distraction

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
With the Cabelas Super Mag I just wheel it right up to the deer, wedge the front of the cart under it's back and roll the deer onto the cart. Then you can kind of move it around on the cart in sections. No need to pick it up or anything. If you center mass of the deer between the wheels it's better. It's pretty simple and you don't have to be Schwarzenegger to manage it. I got the cart about 3 years back. I've even managed two deer at once on the cart, though I had a couple friends along to help. But one deer is pretty easy.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Yes, but made even easier if you carry a couple tie-down straps so you can cinch the deer tightly to the cart before turning it upright.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I roll mine onto a tarp...for a cart, 4wheeler, or loading onto a cargo hitch rack. Makes moving it anywhere easier and lifting easier, as well as ratcheting the deer down to whatever.

·
Vendor
26,555 Posts
Vehicle Deer

this deer was a pretty long and heavy fellow. This is the nxt shot versa cart. Tip the cart over next to the deer. Tie him to the cart and set it up. The versa cart has angled wheels like racing wheelchairs. The angle keeps the deer from tipping over when one wheel gets higher than the other, like going over a log. The cart also has a V shape trauth to keep the deer in the middle.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great suggestions guys.. Thanks. Hey thirdhandman, how much is a Versacart?

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
I've read some but few opinions from various reviews and Q&A boards.. Wondering if anyone here has any experience...

I'm in the market for a deer cart. The Cabela's Super Mag or the Primal Vantage are the candidates at the moment as I like the big wheels and low center of gravity. The design seems perfect for the area I hunt. I hunt a fairly flat river bottom with a decent ATV trail going to my area about a mile and a quarter back. My only concern is how I'm gonna load it with a big deer by myself. I'm 5' 6" roughly 150# so not much caliber on my "guns" to work with.. I know there are two 120"ish 8 pts back there and a few big does so I am hoping to drop the string on something soon.

Just wondering if anyone has had to load this style of cart with a decent sized deer before on their own and if there are any pointers on how to do it.
your choice is between the best [Cabelas Super Mag] hauler and one of the worst [Prime Vantage, also sold under other names]. the PV may be ok for very small deer but I use mine for a yard cart around the house, its just too small. I bought it on sale for 39.00. one way to put a deer on is to tie a rope around the deers neck [I use a strap] then put the back end of the cart under the deers head. then take a ratchet strap and hook one end to the front of the cart and the other to the deers neck and ratchet the deer up on the cart.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
View attachment 1779363
this deer was a pretty long and heavy fellow. This is the nxt shot versa cart. Tip the cart over next to the deer. Tie him to the cart and set it up. The versa cart has angled wheels like racing wheelchairs. The angle keeps the deer from tipping over when one wheel gets higher than the other, like going over a log. The cart also has a V shape trauth to keep the deer in the middle.
Be alot lighter without the guts in it . Ive heard and seen this from guys on here b-4 but to each his own .

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
your choice is between the best [Cabelas Super Mag] hauler and one of the worst [Prime Vantage, also sold under other names]. the PV may be ok for very small deer but I use mine for a yard cart around the house, its just too small. I bought it on sale for 39.00. one way to put a deer on is to tie a rope around the deers neck [I use a strap] then put the back end of the cart under the deers head. then take a ratchet strap and hook one end to the front of the cart and the other to the deers neck and ratchet the deer up on the cart.
Ha! Was hoping someone would give me a real comparison. I knew that could be the case based on price, but was wondering if the PV will "do the job". I'm for sure getting the Super Mag now. Just called my nearest store and they have it. All suggestions here are great. I will have a ratchet strap on hand to try this if I put an animal down. Might even have a few on me just in case I want to strap the animal in.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ha! Was hoping someone would give me a real comparison. I knew that could be the case based on price, but was wondering if the PV will "do the job". I'm for sure getting the Super Mag now. Just called my nearest store and they have it. All suggestions here are great. I will have a ratchet strap on hand to try this if I put an animal down. Might even have a few on me just in case I want to strap the animal in.

Thanks!!
I bought the PV . It seems like it will be ok ,as big as the non typical pack one I had. Checked all the reviews on Cabelas and most said it worked fine but to replace the" quick clips" that come with it . They do look like theyd fall out in thick brush. I spent 3$ and bought steel bolts . It wont rattle at all now either.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Elk, maybe a problem. Whitetails? No problem. I used to throw them on the roof of my car (with roof rack) and tie them up there by myself. How much weight are we talking here really. A dressed whitetail is maybe 90-100 lbs for a real nice buck, over 140 dressed is a monster. Much less for a younger deer or a doe. Wheels will definitely take some of the sting out of a long drag though.

Yes, you will get messy. Keep a change of clothes in the car and throw your bloody things into a trash bag until you get home. Douse it with H2O2, hose it and wash it.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
one thing no one has mentioned. I have the super mag cart and they are VERY tippy, running over logs, bumps, fields etc you have to work to keep one side from wanting to lift on you. If its a super flat area they are fine. I use mine to haul corn to remote feeders, carry deer, and pretty much anything else I cant drive up to. If it is muddy they are A GIANT PITA, the spoke will clog, the wheel will clog, and it will make for a long haul. I about killed myself last year shooting a doe in a wheat field that was wet. IMHO they could use a wider wheel base, and smaller wheels with something like a drop axle to get the ground clearance. for ref im 6'4 250 lbs

·
Feedn The Geese
12,594 Posts
Id hold off a little. A guy from PA is making a new cart that you can backpack in if you wanna go the cart route. I quarter em, dragn blooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwws

·
Registered
21,147 Posts
You could tie a rope around the head end and then loop that over a tree branch. Lift the head end up as high as you can get it and then tie it off. Push the cart under the deer as far as you can and then lower the deer onto the cart.

I've also pulled the deer onto the cart as far as I could and then used my weight to tip the handle end down to the ground. That shifts the weight of the deer down hill and it may slide farther onto the cart for you.

On a side note, that primal vantage cart is not near the cart as the Super Mag. The tires smell like a rubber factory and the cart is much smaller and not as well built. Do yourself a favor and go with the Super Mag.

·
Vendor
26,555 Posts
Great suggestions guys.. Thanks. Hey thirdhandman, how much is a Versacart?
Made by David Smith in S. Carolina about $200. I got this one about 14 years ago. Used it to haul firewood. Quartered a cow elk out and brought her out in one trip Also used it to carry a 12' jon boat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts