Archery Talk Forum banner

Local bow hunter/cameraman wanted. Am I Going About This Wrong? HELP!

1952 Views 28 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  reylamb
I have been looking for a local bowhunter to help with the video chores when hunting around my home area but can’t seem to find one. I have a hunting buddy that shares my lease but he just can’t handle the camera. I have all the video gear. I have some awesome hunting land that I will share with this person. I am on a major archery company’s pro staff and will gladly furnish this individual a bow and arrows that they can keep if they help me out. And this is not all work. I will video them hunting as well. I even had a hunt setup that I would have paid their part of the hunt. I have two video companies willing to pay for my footage if we can capture the video they want. I would even share any income we receive.

During the past 9 seasons, I have put my share of P&Y bucks on the ground hunting Kansas and Oklahoma. I hunt some good spots. I have someone to help in Kansas this year but if I go back next year and this person works out, I would be happy to include them in some awesome hunting. I have already used the “word of mouth” approach. I have told some people that I trust about my needs. Many have said they wanted to but none are serious about it. Oh some of them would go if they do not have basketball league or if the Sooners aren't on TV or some other excuse. But I need someone that wants to hunt as much as I do. One guy I have yet to talk to but I caught his buddies poaching on my neighbors place and I do not want that bunch to know anything about my hunting spots.

So what do I do now? The season is already started and it is fix’n to get good. Do I post a “Hunter Wanted” sign at the local archery shop and handle it like a job interview? Do I spread by “word of mouth” to more folks? This person has to want to hunt as much as I do. That means every weekend, some during the week after work, as much as we can be in the tree. I just do not know if I can find this person around my neck of the woods. Most of all, I have to be able to trust this person and count on them being there.

I need advise. What would you do? How would you find a new trustworthy local hunting buddy that can also video?
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,999 Posts
should kick Vaughn in the butt and get him out there...:tongue:

i've seen some of the monsters this guy has taken with a bow. he's a top notch hunter, a lucky person could learn alot from this guy and see some huge deer in the process.

wish ya luck Steve

· Registered
10,318 Posts
Many have said they wanted to but none are serious about it. Oh some of them would go if they do not have basketball league or if the Sooners aren't on TV or some other excuse.
We deal with that very same stuff all the time. All kinds of guys say how much they would like to get involved, and they make all kinds of promises. Bottom line is that it is very hard to find someone that is as dedicated as they say.

Good luck getting set up and good luck hunting.

· Registered
1,467 Posts
About $40,000 a year should seal the deal. That is what my cousins husband made as camera man before he quit due to his kids getting older and wanting to stay home more. Of course he has his communications degree and worked for a couple major video and TV production companies.

· Shut up and Shoot!!!
6,257 Posts
should kick Vaughn in the butt and get him out there...:tongue:

i've seen some of the monsters this guy has taken with a bow. he's a top notch hunter, a lucky person could learn alot from this guy and see some huge deer in the process.

wish ya luck Steve
He is an awesome hunter and hunts alot harder than I do. I wish I lived closer than 4 hours from him. I would do it just to learn more from him and enjoy the hunting with a friend.

· Registered
648 Posts
I can appreciate this

GrayGhost,

I have always admired you and the animals you have killed over the years, I know the dedication thats involved in doing so.

You may not know this but seeing some footage you filmed is what pushed me from a GL2 at the time to the PD170 camera

I wish I lived closer I would certainly like to buy you a coffee and sit down and chat and interview about the opportunity...

I too have not found anyone thats dedicated and can appreciate what your up against!!!

Good luck in your search, Always enjoy your after Pictures, there always well done!!!

Dan

· Registered
308 Posts
If I lived closer I would give it a whirl but I am all the way over on the Arkansas line and it would be to far of a trip for me.

· Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rocky,

I need this person in the tree for most of the rest of the Oklahoma season. I will spend a good chunk of Nov in Kansas but if I tag out up there, it's back to Oklahoma. We have a 2 buck limit and I need all the buck kills I can get on video. We don't shoot small bucks. It takes a lot of seat time to get oportunities at quality animals. That is why it pretty much has to be someone local. On a day the wind, temp and everything else is right, we need to be in the tree. Maybe only an evening but it would be hard working out a "time" for someone to drive in from very far. Just would not work. Plus the cost of gas would end up more than the perks.

Still looking . . .

Thanks to all that have responded.

· Registered
2,477 Posts
I would do it in a heartbeat, but nobody films around here...lol

Especially if it meant getting the chance to hunt after all your tags are gone, or in a year or two, whatever. it would be exciting either way

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.