Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been going on for about a month now. Every year they get nuissance permits from the DEC and "supposedly" only shoot does. My friends dad lives next to this particular apple orchard and the owner of the farm lets people cruise at night on ATV shooting all the deer. Last year they just piled them up and left them. No tags no nothing....

This year my buddies dad gets sick of hearing all the shots and calls NYS DEC. Basically they tell my buddies dad to go pound sand and that there are too many deer around.

Please advise... need some help on this. My buddy puts in a lot of time hunting this area and it's gut wrenching to see this happen. The farmer doesn't even pick the apples from the trees anymore. I think they are just out there for fun.

· Registered
3,016 Posts
article for the paper tends to make a lot of noise esp if pics go with the it. our fish and game was leaving rd kill on hte rd in salmon or challis and the eagles were eating them, not really a problem till they had fead so much they could not take off to avoid oncoming cars and would get hit.. Pics and an article in the paper and the next thing you know the dead animals are cleaned up before the eagles have a chance to find them.

· Registered
2,313 Posts
Iam not sure of the laws there reguarding nuissance permitts , but here only those who name appears on the permit is allowed with a gun & light.

so if I own the land & get a permit to kill pesky deer , I myself have to do it unless I have your name on the permit otherwise you could be arrested.
You arent allowed in the same vehicle as me w/ gun & light unless your name is on the permit.

· Trophy Meat Hunter
11,366 Posts
Get the media involed.

· Registered
938 Posts
You can get vids and pics of them doin that and take it to the dec and also bring it up at your town meetings it will also help if you can get the mayor on your side. you can also take it all the way up to the state.

· Registered
8,137 Posts
I don't know how it is in your state, but I know in mine, a biologist evaluates your property and gives you a certain number of nuisance permits to be used at your descretion. No complaining from adjacent landowners can stop it that that point. If he's got a legitimate overpopulation problem, then let him take care of it.

· Registered
2,477 Posts
For those of you who who recommend getting the media involved...be careful what you wish for. The media has a tendency to not be able to differentiate between good and bad "hunters". The publicity you get may end up being bad publicity for all of us.
+1 the media has no respect for hunters as it is

· Registered
1,456 Posts
If what they are doing is leagal then leave them alone, it's the farmers land! Tell your buddy to shoot more does, so this guy doesn't need to get a permit. This kind of thing happens in all states with farms, nothing you can do, but shoot as many deer as leagally posible during the season.

· Registered
2,487 Posts
I agree about getting the media involved, but also agree that once you unleash that beast you won't be able to control it.

The wasting of good meat has to be a major point to be made. Also, this doesn't sound like controlled, managed cull hunting, that too should be another point.

· Trophy Meat Hunter
11,366 Posts

· Registered
2,477 Posts
People tearing around at night on ATVs and shooting deer are not hunters.
I agree....but the news headline will be "Hunters using ATV's at night and shooting deer illegally. Here's so and so from PETA with their take on the situation."

· Registered
1,678 Posts
I disagree. If you get the media involved, you can be a part of the story. You would be able to present your side and make it clear that these guys aren't hunters they are killers and there is a difference. As long as the editor of the story doesn't cut your part out of the final story, you will be heard. Tke the opportunity to present a intelligent and informed arguement about the situation.

· Registered
1,456 Posts
I disagree. If you get the media involved, you can be a part of the story. You would be able to present your side and make it clear that these guys aren't hunters they are killers and there is a difference. As long as the editor of the story doesn't cut your part out of the final story, you will be heard. Tke the opportunity to present a intelligent and informed arguement about the situation.
Buck, you have never delt with the media! This guy would never be seen or heard. If they aren't breaking any laws what are you gona do? If you keep messing with them, it's kind of harassment, let them do their thing.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
Sounds to me like the farmer is trying to protect his livelyhood. If that is indeed the simple truth then leave him alone. His right to protect his business by taking out the animals that are responsible for causing damage to it has to be supported.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.