Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got back from another beautiful afternoon in one of my stands.

Before getting settled for the afternoon I checked my trail cameras. As I settled in, and started to view the pictures, I found several pictures of dogs - 3 in a pack - running past my stands.

It appears the local guys are using them to push the deer off the property (where I have cared for them with mineral blocks and feed and food plots) in order to have a shot at them on their property.

I cannot ID the dogs. So the owners are also anonymous at this point.

The land is posted.

So the question is what would you guys do about it?

· Registered
36,987 Posts
:archery: + :dog1: = dog gone

· Registered
467 Posts
Process of elimination should remove the dog gone pressure. Post it first and exterminate next. Deer population should return to normal pretty soon after that plan. Maybe the neighbors should put in some time bringing the deer into their property as you have and not let their dogs to the dirty work for them. Might do them good to learn how to plant something like food plots instead of trouble fo their fellow neighbors. Sounds like they maybe too dang lazy. :pukey:

· Registered
14,752 Posts
im talking about my own land,,if you lease it talk to the owner...

if there strays i would shoot them,,if they have tracking collars on i would try to catch them,,return them to there owners and tell them to keep them off or they get shot....

this will go 3 pages before long i predict....

· Registered
467 Posts
honestly, I HIGHLY DOUBT theyre using the dogs to run the deer off of your property...theyre most likely **** hunters or running bobcats or bear (if thats legal in your area)...
Yep! That is what I want to spend my hard earned money on: A deer lease with stray **** and cat hunters. Along with their dogs that pressure the deer somewhere else. So I guess I would have to talk to the owner of leased property first and then proceed with above plan. If I am buying then I am crying FOUL on this one.

· Registered
129 Posts
Where I hunt (private land), someone's dogs always end up running deer across the property. I think it really ruins natural deer movement and makes them a lot harder to figure out. The plus side is that every now and then they run the deer past my stand.

· Registered
100 Posts
Id try to talk to the neighbors about it, first then take action. You think you have it bad we OWN property and the neighbors have about 12 horses on 6 acres and guess what their favorite snack is... our food plot. its never a pretty situation when stuff like this happens but if you can't talk to them i'd try to catch em.

· Registered
813 Posts
Now wait a minute. Are you getting pictures of dogs at night or during the day? What kind of dogs are they? Do they have collars? I would have said to shoot them until someone brought up coonhunting. As a coonhunter, we can not tell the dogs which way to go and what fences not to cross. They have minds of there own and would you expect one to quit chasing a **** because it crossed a fence? There might be someone coonhunting on someone elses farm and their dogs got on to your place. I dont know. But I do know that if someone shot one of my dogs after I have put in the time and effort to train it, it wont be pretty.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now wait a minute. Are you getting pictures of dogs at night or during the day? What kind of dogs are they? Do they have collars? I would have said to shoot them until someone brought up coonhunting. As a coonhunter, we can not tell the dogs which way to go and what fences not to cross. They have minds of there own and would you expect one to quit chasing a **** because it crossed a fence? There might be someone coonhunting on someone elses farm and their dogs got on to your place. I dont know. But I do know that if someone shot one of my dogs after I have put in the time and effort to train it, it wont be pretty.
To answer your questions.

The pictures were taken during the day.
Raccoon season only opened today (Oct 15) and these pictures were taken pover the last 14 days.
The dogs do not have collars.

· Human Bean
15,545 Posts
if you can catch them, take off their collars (if applicable) and bring them into the pound. If not, then call the co/game warden/police and file a complaint of dogs chasing game on your property. This way if you have to put them down, you have a history for them chasing game.

· Do it in style!
2,319 Posts
To answer your questions.

The pictures were taken during the day.
Raccoon season only opened today (Oct 15) and these pictures were taken pover the last 14 days.
The dogs do not have collars.
most states you can 'run' dogs year round, so it doesn't actually have to be season to run the dogs. Being as the dogs have no collars I doubt they are coondogs, or atleast ones that are of value or anyone cares much about.

if you can catch them, take off their collars (if applicable) and bring them into the pound. If not, then call the co/game warden/police and file a complaint of dogs chasing game on your property. This way if you have to put them down, you have a history for them chasing game.
removing collars is illegal in most states, so I hope you don't get caught :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.