Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shoot a 02 ultra tec with camand plus cams at 5 grain per pound.I would like to add speed balls to the string but dont know proper location.Some bows come with these factory.But I bought this one used.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
You'll need to set them about an inch or so from the cams and move them down the string until you achieve the highest speed.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
You need to set them up with a crono. Every bow is different.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
It isn't that much work. Just put them on your string and shoot through a crono. Move them up and down until you find the sweet spot. I have always done it in about 10-15 min. So no it doesn't take that long. Each bow is going to be different. My Hyper Tec went up 9 fps w/ single cam. But I had them on 3 Accu Tec's I got 15 fps out of 1, 10 fps out of another, and 12 out of the first one I had. So They will very but you will gain speed. I don't like the nock set method. A huge bonus with the speed balls is they last forever. I still have the ones that I bought back in the spring of 98'.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is there a downside to speedballs?

I've been thinking of fitting them on my twin-cam Max3000 but I'm inclined to think you're not going to get something for nothing. Do they increase vibration or noise?

Is it possible to set them up without a chrono? I don't know anyone who has one.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
starfish, actually you'll get less vibration and noise because
the whole premise behind them is to find the spot along
the string path that reduces oscillation of the string to
make the shot smoother and the arrow faster..

·
Registered
85 Posts
justshoot said:
starfish, actually you'll get less vibration and noise because
the whole premise behind them is to find the spot along
the string path that reduces oscillation of the string to
make the shot smoother and the arrow faster..
OK, that makes sense.

Anyone thought of a way of setting them up without a chrono? If I get them in the wrong place, could I end up slowing the bow down?

I have interchangable hard and soft cam modules for indoors and outdoors - sounds like "sweet spot" might change if I swap the cam modules or alter the draw weight - anyone have any experience on this?

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
You can set them up without a crono but you have to be super lucky to find the sweet spot. I got lucky once. As for the interchangeable modules. I am pretty sure that you will have different sweet spots. I wouldn't worry about it if you only use the soft ones for indoors you don't need the extra speed for indoors.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Brown Hornet said:
... I wouldn't worry about it if you only use the soft ones for indoors you don't need the extra speed for indoors.
Good point. I'll get them and have a play outdoors then. Thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just got back

Just got back from the local archery shop. The gentleman in charge saod he won't carry the spider speed balls because they do more harm than good. Said they cause the string to fail much faster and are just not worth it for a few feet per second. Any opiniions? Any truth to that?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
mace, that is absolutely bogus information you've been
given.. reading between the lines, sounds like he just
didn't want to take the time to chronograph them to
see where the sweet spot was.

If you don't set them in place properly they can actually
reduce speed.... but they do work if done correctly and
there's no truth to making the string fail quicker...

·
Registered
83 Posts
After I left, I thought about the design of the ball. It would seem to me that they would do no more damage than an Ultra Nok or anytihng else that were attched to the string.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
I have had one on my Hyper Tec for 1 year and I haven't had a problem. I had them on an Accu Tec for 2 years and never changed the string. Actually it's been the same for the six or seven bows that I have had them on. That pro Shop owner doesn't know what he is talking about.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts