Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hunting on a military reservation in Virginia. They have stands that are already set up. Hunt areas are given out on a first come first serve basis each day. We are able to scout each stand area up until the season starts. I know to look for a stand area with a good food source. What other things should I look for?

·
Registered
65 Posts
They already have pre hung stands? If that is the case I would be looking for funnel stands, they will produce at any time. Next I would make sure to know prevailing wind conditions for that area, then try and locate doe bedding areas, or look for area on a topo or areial map to find preferred bedding spots. I would also look at how close other stand sites are, how far from the the most presure, ect.

Im sure some other guys might have some better insight than this.
Justin

·
Registered
438 Posts
Where you hunting? Ft.Belvoir? Quantico?

Look for deer poop and tracks around those stands, just definite signs theyve been there and are using that source. You doing morning hunts, afternoon or all day?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ishi

I will be hunting Ft Eustis and Yorktown Naval Weapons Station Cheatham Annex. I will be hunting Ft Eustis in the afternoon and Cheatham on weekends depending on which days I was drawn for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts