Archery Talk Forum banner

Locking a Ladder Stand

3945 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  cityhunter346
I'll be setting up a ladder stand on my property this year, and because there was an incident last year involving someone trashing my feeder station, I want to lock my ladder stand.

What have you guys done to secure your ladder stands?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,615 Posts
I'll be setting up a ladder stand on my property this year, and because there was an incident last year involving someone trashing my feeder station, I want to lock my ladder stand.

put cable lock around top seat area.drill holes in each ladder and secure with locking bolts/nuts.most dont carry sockets etc.BUT this will not stop them twisting your ladder around the tree.

buy the cheap 49 dollar stands from COMFORT ZONE.that is about it. if they want it, they will get it.
building a wooden stand they will leave alone too.

· Archery Addict
10,097 Posts
I use a Brinks or Kryptonite Braided cable with looped ends (20 ft) and another Brinks cable lock. The 20'cable gets intertwined in the steps and looped around the tree and the cable lock goes through the platform and around the tree and through the loop on the 20'cable. The braided cable is 1/2" and so is the cable lock section. It is too pliable to cut with bolt cutters or hack saw. I left one up this year and locked up this way and it never got stolen. Someone hunted out of it a few times and once left me a snickers bar and a bag of sunflower seeds on the seat! This was on some private ground, but lots of people hunt it. I set it up for my daughter to hunt out of but she never got to hunt with me this year due to her nursing school clinicals.

· In constant pursuit of...
8,553 Posts
I put cable locks on mine,...get them from Lowes,...I also sometimes,...not always, install a couple of 5" big Torx head screws under the seat to the tree.

· Registered
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've decided to cut a 16"Wx8'L piece of 1/2" plywood with a couple of holes at each end for a cable to run through & lay it agagainst the bottom rungs. The cable has loops clamped at each end & is then run through the holes to secure the plywood sheet to the rungs with a padlock through the cable loops. This keeps anyone from climbing up the ladder & hopefully from stealing the stand.

· Registered
2,836 Posts
set it up on a sapling. let the tree grow through it and in a few years it will be unstealable. Good luck.

· Banned
3,149 Posts

I get several U brackets and put them around where the stand hits the tree. Cordless impact wrench and some 3" lag bolts along with a chain and lock. If they can get through all of that they deserve my stand.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.