Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you purchased one as of late? I have two prior models, the cast is covered in some sort of coating (both are in trees right now so can't remember exactly but they are not silver) but this new one I just got from cabela's has bare cast. It's silver, top and bottom Nothing that some spray paint won't solve, but WTH? In the sun it shines like a mirror.

Automotive tire Wood Mesh Fence Grey

Anyone else?

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
32,760 Posts
Some use and time in the field… Rub some dirt on it and that should knock the shine down. My alpha is probably about five years old so not a recent model but no shine issues with it.

·
The Impartial Archer
22,207 Posts
I’m dying to find LW traction belts for my 2 climbers I can’t even use.

Let’s go LW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So they both hit the 5 year mark this year? I got lucky and bought one last year in the spring but I didn't even really need it yet.......I have used them much longer than the "5" years as well.......so have many others.

I think like most things if they say they are good for 5 they are probably good for double that since the risk is so high. I'm not saying disregard it and just use them but inspect them and see if they are damaged rather than go by a generic number the manufacturer that's lawyered up tossed out at you.

I have seen threads here where people have used them over 10 years............if you do that you need to be looking at them with a detailed eye.

Also the "rumor" is they will be making them again.........if they don't someone will because there are too many people out there happy with old LW stands......me being one.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
My understanding is that the lone wolf belts were essentially some kind of reinforced conveyor belts generally available in manufacturing. Any members work in that field can help out?

·
Gold Supporting Archer
11,170 Posts
So they both hit the 5 year mark this year? I got lucky and bought one last year in the spring but I didn't even really need it yet.......I have used them much longer than the "5" years as well.......so have many others.

I think like most things if they say they are good for 5 they are probably good for double that since the risk is so high. I'm not saying disregard it and just use them but inspect them and see if they are damaged rather than go by a generic number the manufacturer that's lawyered up tossed out at you.

I have seen threads here where people have used them over 10 years............if you do that you need to be looking at them with a detailed eye.

Also the "rumor" is they will be making them again.........if they don't someone will because there are too many people out there happy with old LW stands......me being one.

Mine are far older than 5 years. lol...Maybe 20 ? It's all my fault. I hurt my knee working out and couldn't use a climber around 2008 or so ? So I put both my Lone Wolf hand climbers, and 1 was brand new NEVER used,along with my Ol Man climber out in my "Florida" room. The summer heat,for the last 14 or so years, dry rotted and deterioted the belts into just the wires. lol Reason why I found out is because my knee is starting to come around, and I was about to start getting into climbing shape for a public land hunt somewhere,anywhere. If only I didn't have my head up my arse when I stowed them. Which makes me think ? I might have a 3rd LW in the spare bedroom under the bed ? Or maybe thats where I kept the spare before I put it in the Florida room. I recall placing something under that bed. Going to look now. lol

·
The Impartial Archer
22,207 Posts
Mine are far older than 5 years. lol...Maybe 20 ? It's all my fault.
Dang that's a great point though.......I store mine in a non-climate controlled shed but they are inside and out of direct sun. My LW is probably 25 years old and I have been through 2 belts and the 3rd is on it now. None really showed wear but I was well over the 5 years each time so what the heck I replaced them for peace of mind....they were like under 40 each time.

There was a thread here not long ago where a guy was saying his belt only lasted like 3 years (I think) and rotted away.....said he kept it indoors and everything!? Makes me wonder if it's not something like the light, heat or whatever like you are saying. ??? Maybe different manufacturers or sub-contractors?

I work for a really large company and we get parts in for years and then BAM we get garbage that doesn't work......each time that happens we find out they had to get parts from another vendor.......either to save a dime or because of support issues.

The old belts were not grey but transparent honey colored so I know for sure they have changed at least once. I hope they come out soon with them or maybe I'll start a small business..............lol

·
Registered
811 Posts
They are supposed to be coming back out with them once they get the company back up and running.

If it makes you feel better, my sit and climb is a 2011 model and is on its original belts. I just check them every year and as long as it looks good and I don't see splitting or material coming off, I keep going. They have metal inside them , I believe they are similar to serpentine belts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts