Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I want to know how you feel about the platform size of the Lone Wolf Alpha?

I have been reading glowing reviews about the alpha and while I was at Dick's Sporting Goods last week I stood on one and it seems small. In field use is the platform comfortable enough to stand and shoot a bow from? Do you shoot setting down?

I like the idea that I saw HCH write about hunting mobile with the Lone Wolf. Are there other stands that have a larger platform but are portable with adjustable seat and platform like the Alpha for mobile type hunting?

I am 5'8" and 190 lbs and am new to bowhunting. I would like to feel comfortable being 18-20' up in the air when I stand up to take the shot.

·
XX78 User
4,927 Posts
I don't have the alpha but I have the assault. The smaller version of the alpha.... It has plenty of room for me and I'm 6'0 190. I wouldn't think of hunting with anything but a lonewolf; they really are a quality stand but pricey.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Silvermesa,
Welcome to Archery Talk! :welcome:

I have a Lone Wolf Alpha and love it! :nod: The size of the platform is great and it makes you feel comfortable due to its' generous size. Very portable with 12# and the LW climbing sticks fit into the stand for increased portability. :thumb:

I use one of the treestand belts to hold the sticks on the back of the stand and it has worked out great. I put the other belt in my fanny pack and attach it when I get to my tree.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
for platforms, to me the bigger the better. that being said, i bought a couple alphas last year and got to use them last week for the 1st time. no complaints here. i felt i had plenty of room. some of my stands have bigger platforms, but aren't nearly as stable as the lone wolf. they are indeed very nice stands. i got the footrests for mine too, i gotta have those. cost wise, they hurt the wallet but you are indeed getting a quality product.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Big platforms on them Lone wolfs

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
They are just barely big enough. Yes, pretty small, but you can deal with it. I alternate between standing and sitting to keep stuff from falling asleep. I prefer to shoot standing.

Ray

·
Registered
831 Posts
The size of the lone wolf alfa it fine.
I see you are new to bowhunting, you will need to get used to being perched like an Hawk on the side of a tree.
One thing you may want to do is to get a piece of plywood and cut it the size of the lone wolf, then live on it.
''The platfrom can be a inch off the ground.''
When you get dressed try to do it on the platform, watch tv on it, eat a meal on it, talk on the phone,shoot your bow on it, walk around on it.
Get the picture, you will find out quick that you have pleanty of room on the platform. When you get used to that size take some inches off the platform.
You will find your comfort zone.
Then buy the stand that suits your comfort zone.
General rule
larger stands= more comfort, more weight, and will fit in less trees
Smaller stands= less comfort, lighter, packs better and will fit in more trees

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All of your replies are very helpful! Thank you!!

One other thing I noticed about the platform is that your toe or heel can wobble or slightly fall down in the holes of the platform. Especially when your high in the air, is their a balance problem? I am thinking a harness is a must?
I wear a size 9 boot.

What are your footing and balance experiences?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
All of your replies are very helpful! Thank you!!

One other thing I noticed about the platform is that your toe or heel can wobble or slightly fall down in the holes of the platform. Especially when your high in the air, is their a balance problem? I am thinking a harness is a must?
I wear a size 9 boot.

What are your footing and balance experiences?

Thanks in advance!
I wear a size 11.5 and have no issue with this. Great stand and if someone has not already said it, WEAR A HARNESS! It will keep you safe and make you feel better about leaning out over the edge when you bend at the waist for proper form. Welcome:darkbeer:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am 6'1'' 260lbs and were a size 12 boot. I only hunt out of the alpha. I splurged and spent the money a few years back. It will be your favorite hunting investment. just cant say enough about them.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have an alpha and an assault. Both have their place in my way of doing things.

I don't set many stands but do have a lot of "sets". What I call a 'set' is a tree with screw in steps. I take my stand in and out with me. I find myself grabbing the alpha more than the assault, but I do have a few sets that are in thigh sized (small) trees that I can only get about 12' or so I use the assault as it fits better. I've never noticed the "boot issue". I have hockey taped both platforms, seat metal, tube so they are completely silent. I also hockey taped the strap buckles.

I had a "tent & awning" shop sew a NEET bow holder(the ones that you can put on your belt for 3D tourneys) onto the left side of my harness so as I'm climbing the tree the stand hangs on this hook until I reach my level and strap it up.

I would not hunt out of a treestand without a harness regardless of platform size.

The platform size on both stands is more than adequate for myself, but only use what you are comfortable using.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I have an Elite...the largest of the LW hang ons...It is much heavier, has a higher seat..I'm a big guy..6'2" 300# + when all geared up...Only used it once so far but is very comfortable once in the stand...it does come in at 20 or 22#s though the platform is about 24 x30"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts