Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hand climber and was wondering how comfortable the sit and climb seat is. I think these are the best stands out. Is the sit and climb seat more or less comfortable than the hand climber.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put a Summit Viper seat on my LW sit and climb. Fits nice and gives very nice comfort if you stay in the stand for long periods. The cloth seat that comes standard offers no cush for your tush, but works ok for short periods of an hour or two by standing periodically...hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Scott,

Just curious, did you have to modify anything to make the Viper seat fit? I have been contemplating doing that and did not know if it would fit.

Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
Lone Wolf Climber

I have the Lone Wolf Climber, bought the hand climber version and found it difficult to use, bought the sit and climb seat separate from Lone Wolf. Much easier to climb and seat is comfortable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No modification...for transport, fold the top seat back section between the middle seat back and the bottom seat pad, and wrap the self contained seat back bungie from the top around to the bottom of seat. It holds it together as a tight package. When climbing, cock the seat package up towards your chin, you can then see down between the back edge and the tree if you wan to see the bottom platform bite the tree as you go. Works very well for me. I ordered the seat direct from Summit. You could also use a Bushmaster seat if you didn't want the seat back piece. Hope this helps...good luck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I went through the exact same issue

Hello All,

I had the exact same issue in selecting between the hand climber and sit&climb lone wolf stand.

I ended up ordering the hand climber because in my opinion the sit and climb seat was way to uncomfortable...the 2 inch wide support strap under the cloth seat left a matching stripe across my you-know-what after only sitting for 15 minutes in an archery shop.

The guys above may have the solution though--using the Summit seat modification. If I can't get used to the hand climber, I'll also order the sit/climb portion of the stand and use the Summit seat....time will tell...

Rob

·
Registered
421 Posts
I can see if you had a Lone Wolf already.....but if not why not just buy the whole Summit stand? They are very comfortable (as you know) and you would save some money over the lone wolf. That is unless there is some advantage to having the lone wolf platform over the summit platform. Just my 2 cents.

:cool:

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I have a 2002 lone wolf and 2002 Loggy, and my Loggy goes with me most of the time. Its light and much more comfortable than my lone wolf, and it has a foot rest. It also has a cambuckle that locks the platform to the tree and the seat is unbelievable.
Neither stand has ever made a creak, both arevery quiet. I take the LW for short hunts or if I am really taking a hike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Scott said:
I put a Summit Viper seat on my LW sit and climb. Fits nice and gives very nice comfort if you stay in the stand for long periods.
Agree with Shooterscool - why not just get the summit. Traded in my old M&S this year for a backpacker bullet. Most comfortable stand I have ever been in. It also folds flat, and I would guess about the same size as the LW with summit seat. Probably only 2-3 pounds difference in weight.

Moral of story - If you want to keep your butt comfy get the summit

·
Registered
8 Posts
After carefully comparing the LW climber and the Summit, I decided I wanted an LWSummit climber. I really liked the traction belt design of the LW and the fold away sit/bar, but liked the comfort of the Summit seat design. I also liked the one piece design of the platform on the LW. I already had a Summit Headhunter Lite which has the same platform design as the summits, and found while it was ok, the LW was better to me. I also liked the way the LW folded flat for packing, and did not like the way Summits new unit worked by comparison...not that it is bad, but that I liked the LW better. The stabilizer straps that come on the LW now were also a nice plus, but clearly you could put an identical feature on a Summit. If these differences had not mattered to me, I would have bought the Summit. I now have a climber that packs near or far, gives comfort all day if desired, gets up and down very quietly, and is rock solid without creaks while in it. Can't think of anything else I want in a sit and climb stand except maybe a shot opportunity...good luck in your efforts.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies. Scott, did you just take off your strap seat on the LW and put the seat from the summit in its place?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Man,I really want a Lone Wolf!
I tried a Summit Cobra and an Ol' Man Multi but ended up returning them,each for various reasons, and getting a Gorilla Silverback lite.
Next year I'm definitely getting a LW hand climber.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cast Aluminum

My concern about the Lone Wolf stands are that they are cast aluminum. Cast aluminum is quieter than steel or extruded aluminum. If your stand should happen to crack it would be difficult to repair. Cast aluminum is not readily weldable.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Re: Cast Aluminum

zachnjoe said:
My concern about the Lone Wolf stands are that they are cast aluminum. Cast aluminum is quieter than steel or extruded aluminum. If your stand should happen to crack it would be difficult to repair. Cast aluminum is not readily weldable.
Not so fast.
I TIG weld cast aluminum aircraft crankcases....very well might I add.
:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Theck, Yes, undid the bolts, slid the stock cloth seat off. Reassemble the bolts, and then attach the Summit straps and adjust. Adjusting the straps works best by putting the climber on a tree and making the changes that suit you. Good luck...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts