Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many of you guys are still using the Lone Wolf hand climber? I love mine. I also use the hang on and sticks but down here most places I go there is a tree for the hand climber. My one recommendation is if you get the Alpha and sticks or the hand climber get a hunt comfort seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
335 Posts
This is good to hear. I just ordered one yesterday and ordered a hazemore seat for it. Have to get more mobile on public

·
11,781 Posts
I run two setups, a hand climber and an assault with 4x sticks. Between those two stands I can hunt anywhere. Love my hand climber, super light weight, folds incredibly flat and easy to use.

Reactions: PreacherMan76

·
Registered
10,104 Posts
My contribution to this thread is that I'd love to have a LW Hand Climber. I run an Alpha and sticks now but a LW HC would cut my weight drastically.

Reactions: Kevin2

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have 2 of them, and cant imagine going to anything else. I tried the saddle thing, just isn't for me. I tried the assault hand climber and didn't like the smaller platform. Ive used summits, olmans, the alpha hang on, a xop hang on, and I always come back to the hand climber combo II. I don't even consider anything else at this point, its just what works for me and the style I hunt. I'm very comfortable climbing with it, makes zero noise, you are not obstructed in any direction by frames or support rods and I can sit all day. Some people say the seat is uncomfortable, but it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Currently running the Assault hand climber. You can't go wrong with any of the ones they offer. I also have the flip top. All of them are very nice.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I almost bought a hand climber, but ran into a really good deal on a sit and climb so I got that.

I might get a flip top upper for it though.

Absolutely fantastic climbing stands though. I love mine and doubt I'll ever sell it. Should grab some extra traction belts for it to have as spares if they ever quit making them...

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I love the hand climber. I have a mobile hang on setup and a saddle but I'll always prefer the hand climber. I'd say 98% of the land I hunt I'll never have an issue finding a tree suitable for climber. The other 2% is where the other mobile setups come in.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just picked up a hand climber combo II for this year and have an Assault and sticks too. I remember thinking that I would never get a climber again as it limited what trees I could get in. Last year with the sticks and stand, I found that about 80% of the trees I got into would have allowed a climber!
I'm already impressed with how the HC packs and how lightweight it is, definitely a good buy and will get a lot of use this year when I'm not feeling the sticks and stand.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just picked up a hand climber combo II for this year and have an Assault and sticks too. I remember thinking that I would never get a climber again as it limited what trees I could get in. Last year with the sticks and stand, I found that about 80% of the trees I got into would have allowed a climber!
I'm already impressed with how the HC packs and how lightweight it is, definitely a good buy and will get a lot of use this year when I'm not feeling the sticks and stand.
I find that as well. Here’s a trick, carry one stick on your hand climber. Then you can climb up to branches set your stick move the stand above it and keep going. If it’s just one branch I climb around it without the stick. Also the hand climber will sit on a crooked tree.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been using mine for 20 years and have taken a fair number of deer with it. Never a problem finding suitable trees for climbing. It still has the original belts. I'm sure they are overdue for replacement.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Hand climber here.
Let’s be real, unless you have a prehung stand, you’re not beating me up a limb less tree in any other system :)
Sure I could.

Saddle and tree gaffs, I'd be up that tree before you got your climber off your back and hooked up. :)

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure I could.

Saddle and tree gaffs, I'd be up that tree before you got your climber off your back and hooked up. :)
Ok faster than me on public land

Reactions: eclark53520

·
The Impartial Archer
17,457 Posts
I find that as well. Here’s a trick, carry one stick on your hand climber. Then you can climb up to branches set your stick move the stand above it and keep going. If it’s just one branch I climb around it without the stick. Also the hand climber will sit on a crooked tree.

Sure it will. You have to climb the right side of the tree and maybe go around it as you climb but it can be done. Sounds like you don't have the experience to know how to do it is all.

There is a limit for sure and you have to set on the side of the tree that is angled back so that might limit you as well..........but I have done it often.

Of course you can't climb a super crooked tree and it will never be as versatile as sticks a stand but you can climb trees with large spots or that aren't super straight too if you know how.

You have to weigh the pro's & con's. For me I'll take the climber anytime I can even if I have to move a few yards to get the right tree.

When I can't I drag out the sticks and stands..........

After 20 years of buying trying & selling I have had my LW Handclimber II for about 20 years..........lol. That's how much I like mine.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sure it will. You have to climb the right side of the tree and maybe go around it as you climb but it can be done. Sounds like you don't have the experience to know how to do it is all.

There is a limit for sure and you have to set on the side of the tree that is angled back so that might limit you as well..........but I have done it often.

Of course you can't climb a super crooked tree and it will never be as versatile as sticks a stand but you can climb trees with large spots or that aren't super straight too if you know how.

You have to weigh the pro's & con's. For me I'll take the climber anytime I can even if I have to move a few yards to get the right tree.

When I can't I drag out the sticks and stands..........

After 20 years of buying trying & selling I have had my LW Handclimber II for about 20 years..........lol. That's how much I like mine.
I have used a hand climber since 2006. I love mine. I have the alpha and sticks as well

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have had one for many years. I don’t use it as much as I use to. I prefer sticks and hang on stands now days.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
I much prefer the stand and stick option. Less work for me and i can hunt any tree. Same amount of time to get situated. The new LWCG 1.0 and four short sticks with aiders is perfect. If using a climber i prefer the flip top standard width.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts