Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy either the assualt or regular hand climber by lone wolf. I have always been a Summit guy and am looking to make the transition. I am currently using a summit viper that I took the swinging gun rest/ climbing seat bar off of. I just do dips by holding the two bars on each side and I can get up a tree in no time maybe 5-6 pulls. My concern is not that you have to hand climb but how long does it take to get up a tree. I am not a big fan of the recommended put your elbows and chest on the seat pad and bring your feet up about a foot like on their website. Bean Outdoors had a segment on youtube that made it look like it would take forever and be noisy (bottom platform kinda drags up the tree on the way up) using this method. IS IT POSSIBLE TO DO DIPS OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF QUICKER QUIETER MOVEMENT WITH THIS STAND?
Thanks a bunch,

Andrew

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Not sure if you can do dips because the top has a cast seat with a pad and not a sling style you can push out of the way. With the stock straps that hold the top and bottom together you can only go so far on a climbing motion. I am 6' 3" and sometimes go too far even with the straps extended all the way. I had a Summit Bushmaster and the LW is much better in my opinion. Easier to climd (I do rest my elbows ond chest on the seat), much quiter ( I do not find it noisy while climbing any climber can drag to a certain extent), the LW folds so flat and is light ( I carry it in one hand like a suite case not on my back, my bow in my other hand and my gear in a back pack). One thing I do not like is that the seat does not fold up so when you stand you are out away from the tree. For this reason I am glad I went with the regular size and not the Assault. I see they make a top that the seat flips up but it is a sit and climb and heavier.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
Not sure if you can do dips because the top has a cast seat with a pad and not a sling style you can push out of the way. With the stock straps that hold the top and bottom together you can only go so far on a climbing motion. I am 6' 3" and sometimes go too far even with the straps extended all the way. I had a Summit Bushmaster and the LW is much better in my opinion. Easier to climd (I do rest my elbows ond chest on the seat), much quiter ( I do not find it noisy while climbing any climber can drag to a certain extent), the LW folds so flat and is light ( I carry it in one hand like a suite case not on my back, my bow in my other hand and my gear in a back pack). One thing I do not like is that the seat does not fold up so when you stand you are out away from the tree. For this reason I am glad I went with the regular size and not the Assault. I see they make a top that the seat flips up but it is a sit and climb and heavier.
Sure it does. Fold up up flat against the tree, fold it down, almost silent.

Great stand, and I agree about buying the regular size instead of the assault.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
My dad does pull-ups with his basically, he grabs the end of the seat and raises it as high as he can and then pulls himself up. Very quick. It sounds like you hunt at a medium height if you only do 5-6 pulls on your summit that would put you up maybe 12-15 feet which is pretty quick and easy to do with the lonewolf. Using your summit like you do, I don't think you'll have any issues at all with the handclimber.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys I really appreciate the info. If I flip up the seat like this an the assault do you think I could get away with the smaller platform?

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
thanks guys I really appreciate the info. If I flip up the seat like this an the assault do you think I could get away with the smaller platform?
I would never buy the smaller platform, but that's just me. A pair of heavy boots on the regular and there's no extra room. I don't care about a saving a few ounces of weight, between the stand and my pack on top of it I'd never notice the reduced weight and I would noticed the reduced size.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had the hand climber and traded it.... I put my forearms on the seat and it felt like it was going to break my ribs. I am trying to the muddy sticks and bloodsport now.... If I had to do it all over again, I would just buy an LW Alpha and use 3 sticks. 5 min set up. If you do a youtube search, Bean Outdoors does a review of the LWHandclimber.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
The strap is good but I can climb without it easy and quick. Buy the larger platform and get the footrests, you can thank me later.

·
Bowhunter
6,440 Posts
I don't know where Boiling Springs Pa is but you are more than welcome to come try my hand climber out. I love it.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow thanks for the info I guess I'll stick to the larger platform model. The blood sport and 5 muddy sticks will be in my arsenal next too. I'm going to try and modify the hand climber seat with a summit so it can have a backrest. Any ideas?

·
Vendor
91,223 Posts
if you need help let us know we are running some rut specials on the lone wolfs

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Wow thanks for the info I guess I'll stick to the larger platform model. The blood sport and 5 muddy sticks will be in my arsenal next too. I'm going to try and modify the hand climber seat with a summit so it can have a backrest. Any ideas?
You can get one of those air cushions at bass pro that have a strap that will go around the tree. That is all you need if you have to have a back pad.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would take a look at the "Slumper Seat"

Haven't tried it out myself yet, but from what I read you get more than you pay for ;)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
If you think you need all of that padding you might want to get the sit and climb.

·
Silent Death
2,895 Posts
Pick up a wolf pack, eliminate using a backpack or fanny pack, and have a backrest!
I carry the usual gear, plus 2 cameras and one camera arm using just the Wolf Pack.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
My dad does pull-ups with his basically, he grabs the end of the seat and raises it as high as he can and then pulls himself up. Very quick. It sounds like you hunt at a medium height if you only do 5-6 pulls on your summit that would put you up maybe 12-15 feet which is pretty quick and easy to do with the lonewolf. Using your summit like you do, I don't think you'll have any issues at all with the handclimber.
i do pull-ups with mine too... i can get up the tree real fast.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
I have not tried the assault but could not imagine a smaller platform than their standard size. If doing it over again, I would still get the standard platform.

I dont think you will climb up as easily or quickly as with your Summit. The HC is closer to the tree which will make the transition awkward. I think doing dips will be tricky too. Where the Lone Wolf shines in all of this is that even though it may take longer to climb, you will do it in silence.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quietness is my number one concern. I will check out all those seats as well. I will be to try the pull up method as well. I do normally go up to about 18 to 30 depending on the situation need be.

Now the even better question. Could I set up a hang on an sticks just as fast as setting up and climbing with the climber. Some of my buds swear that's the new way to go for mobile set ups.

Thanks yal

1 - 20 of 21 Posts