Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hijack someone elses post but wanted to ask a question of my own to the Lone Wolf users.

Can you set up the sticks and just keep on climbing up the tree without going up and down to retreive the next stick. I had the summit buck steps and couldn't figure out how to do that with them, so I sold them. I'm interested in getting these but if your going to be moving around (up and down 3-4 times) I would think a climber would be better, less movement.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
NKYBOWHUNTER, I am working on that same idea myself. Some sort of sling or perhaps the LW bowcaddy could let us do that. I also tried the Bucksteps and I absolutely did not like them.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I haven't found a way to do it. I have 4 sticks and can get to around 16-18 feet if I really push it. Personally I would rather take the time to climb up and down. It doesn't take that much more time. If you find an easy way to stay on the tree let me know.

·
Registered
633 Posts
i use my retrieving rope and tie the steps to it before i start climbing and strap myself to the tree with my climbing harness and just pull them up when i need them if im by myself. but it is safer and easier if you have a buddy with you

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a Lone Wolf stand but instead of the sticks, I got the Bucksteps from Summit. They are a little loud if you're not careful, but I can get higher with 4 bucksteps than 3 LW sticks for the same price. I REALY like the fact that I can stand with two feet on one step on the Bucksteps. With the LW you have most of the weight on only one foot and that leg gets tired fast when hooking the stand on.

I just climb back down and get the next stick. It really doesn't take that much time.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have used the buck steps and what I did to stop the climbing up and down was.
Lay out 1/4 " pull rope with a loop every 6 feet. Then I would attach the steps to each loop while they were on the ground.
Set my first step. Climb up then pull the second up and ect. ect. The stand was the last on the daisy chain.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
I use 4 steps

I hook #1 on tree at ground level.

Then I put one on each side of the first by turning the v-cleat.

I take the second and put it on the tree, while standing on the first.

Then I hang the other 2 on the second strap.

It is a LOT easier with a climbing belt....but I have done it plenty without.

I can do this in about the same amount of time as my buddy in his climber, mostly beacause I have 2 steps on before he has his stand on the tree.

I have also used 2 more by putting the v-cleat (turned) in my belt, or hanging the straps on opposite sides of my body.....like a lady carries a purse......when you get up to the height you need, all you do is unhook the loop from the versa button.

Practice at home and you will be amazed how fast and quiet you can be.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Alwasylookingup,
"I can do this in about the same amount of time as my buddy in his climber, mostly beacause I have 2 steps on before he has his stand on the tree."

How long does it take your buddy to go up to 15' in his climber?
It takes me about 4 minutes from shoulder to 15' with my climber

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
arrowhawk said:
Alwasylookingup,
"I can do this in about the same amount of time as my buddy in his climber, mostly beacause I have 2 steps on before he has his stand on the tree."

How long does it take your buddy to go up to 15' in his climber?
It takes me about 4 minutes from shoulder to 15' with my climber

By the time he gets the stand up on the tree, organizes his gear fo rthe climb and sets his pull up rope..........I usually have the first 2 steps on and my pullup rope all set......especially in the morning, when you are doing it by headlamp.

I've never timed it.....but from arrival to sitting, dressed, ready to shoot, in the stand is probably real close to 15 min fo rthe both of us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts