Archery Talk Forum banner

Lone wolf stands in the extreme cold

23943 270
WARNING: I used my lone wolf climber in the extreme cold last night, -2deg F, for five hours. As I began my decent, the strap around the tree broke. As I was falling with my feet still locked into my climber, the strap for the bottom portion also broke sending me falling 25'. Miraculously, I walked away and drove myself to the ER.

Oh, and by the way, no matter how careful you think you are while in the tree, you will eventually fall. WEAR YOUR HARNESS! The ER doc told me that 80% of all falls over 20' are fatalities.
1 - 20 of 271 Posts

· Widewater Hunt Club
9,411 Posts
Dang! Glad you're ok and subscribed. I just got a sit and climb combo this season and I love it compared to my Summit. I have noticed that sometimes the belts really can get put in some tight angles. Just wondering the age of your climber (mainly the age of the belts) and how much you weigh?

· Registered
13,490 Posts
glad your ok!!!!! but I don't believe the strap broke because of cold ..... most likely nicked with a saw or something
regardless wear a harness ..

· Premium Member
5,564 Posts
Glad you're okay. Hard to believe they would break. Post pics when you get a chance.

· Premium Member
5,564 Posts

· Registered
13,490 Posts
The stand is less than a month old. I love it, but.....

I've attach a photo. The other strap broke at the point inside the stand where it is "ratcheted" tight.

View attachment 1823355
I would follow up on that.. with lw did you have the belt in beyond the red warning label , the belts actually warn you it can break if not in far enough. can you post a pix from the top of the belt, and post a pix also of the piece inside? would like to see..

· Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
34,661 Posts
Glad you're OK. With the location of that break, I'd suspect a sharp edge in the square tubing where the traction belt goes in or some type of excessive outward flare of the belt against the tubing. Hopefully a very isolated incident. I've never heard of these straps breaking.

I assume you don't weigh more than what the stand is rated for.

· Registered
2,131 Posts
Holy cow! That has to be a manufacturer defect. No way they should snap at any temperature. But it happened to both top and bottom? Did there happen to be any hungry squirrels on your tree? Glad you are okay!

· Registered
186 Posts
Wow. That is interesting. Hope you're okay? I have a sit and climb, approximately 2 years old. I have used that climber A TON. No issues yet. Have been out at or around zero degrees a few times, but this post gives me pause. I am still using the original belts. Wonder if they changed the manufacturing process?

This is disturbing.

1 - 20 of 271 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.