Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, going to be getting a mobile stand set up sometime this year for the 2021-2022 deer season and I’m looking at sticks and the only ones that I’ve found that have a weight rating above 300 lbs is the lone Wolfs and the XOPs. I’m 6’4” and 305 lbs and wear size 14 boots as well.

Between these two sticks, which would y’all go with? And for what reason? Also, if y’all have any other recommendations that would work for me please let me know.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
Lone wolf can be customized easier (if u choose) and have a track record of working. However being near the top of the weight rating keep an eye on the stopper bolts those holes have been known to oval out over time and use

·
Liv4Rut
7,318 Posts
The XOPS are much better for guys with big feet. I have size 14 as well and I used lonewolf sticks for over a decade solely until the XOPs came out. The lonewolfs work don't get me wrong, but when you start getting muddy boots, slightly angled trees etc, they get downright scary. Lonewolf sticks also have a fatal flaw. Over time, the steps start to oval out where the step meets the contact point and your angle on the step decreases. You will hit a point where it gets dangerous and you will have to flip the step around. Once the point gets worn out, you need to replace all the steps.

The xops are solid. The only downside is they weight 0.75-1lb more per stick compared to a LW stick. I will gladly carry it out everyday for the safety factor alone. I also have the lone wolf custom gear sticks and those work great for guys with big feet and much better than the original LW sticks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey guys, going to be getting a mobile stand set up sometime this year for the 2021-2022 deer season and I’m looking at sticks and the only ones that I’ve found that have a weight rating above 300 lbs is the lone Wolfs and the XOPs. I’m 6’4” and 305 lbs and wear size 14 boots as well.

Between these two sticks, which would y’all go with? And for what reason? Also, if y’all have any other recommendations that would work for me please let me know.

Thanks.

I use hawk helium’s. I’m 225 but my buddy uses them as well at 280 and is just fine. I thought they were 300 rated

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
At your size there is no way I would use LW with those small steps with then tiny Allen head bolts that only contact half the thickness of the steps, XOP for sure.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I use hawk helium’s. I’m 225 but my buddy uses them as well at 280 and is just fine. I thought they were 300 rated
Those are good but the steps sit closer to the tree than any stick I ever seen, not great for big guys.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, helps since XOP is also a bit less in price

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have XOP sticks. I like them a lot even with the added weight. I’ve debated buying the LW to compare but it’s not high on my financial priority list.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I went with XOP and have zero regrets for all the reasons stated below. They way they lock together for transport is another advantage over the LW sticks.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I had them before and sold them but wish I didn’t, after using them other stick steps feel really small and don’t feel as secure on the feet.
If I find them on sale I’ll probably pick up another set.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Interested to know why you are choosing sticks / hang-on vs. a climbing stand? Thinking about going mobile too, and am also 6'4" and north of three hundo.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Interested to know why you are choosing sticks / hang-on vs. a climbing stand? Thinking about going mobile too, and am also 6'4" and north of three hundo.
I always take sticks and a hang-on the first time I hunt an area, unless I know there’s a climbable tree in the right spot beforehand. Climbing stand is great until there isn’t a tree you can climb within shooting distance of where you want to be.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My father-in-law asked the same question. I’ve used his Summit and it’s very comfy and pretty light weight, I have absolutely no complaints about climbers EXCEPT that you need a fairly straight tree to climb.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My father-in-law asked the same question. I’ve used his Summit and it’s very comfy and pretty light weight, I have absolutely no complaints about climbers EXCEPT that you need a fairly straight tree to climb.

Good point. Sometimes that tree just isn't where you need it....

·
Registered
Mathews vxr 31.5. Black Eagle Rampage Arrows.
53 Posts
Another vote here for the XOP sticks. I’m 6’5 and 290, and I’m using the XOP sticks with their vanish evolution stand. Got a full season in with both and I’m happy. I hang every set, every hunt, and take down every set, every hunt. Never felt unsafe with either the sticks or the stand.

·
Registered
23,297 Posts
I always take sticks and a hang-on the first time I hunt an area, unless I know there’s a climbable tree in the right spot beforehand. Climbing stand is great until there isn’t a tree you can climb within shooting distance of where you want to be.
There was a recent thread on "still hunting" that I posted on a couple times. This fall I hunted a new area that is pretty large, so most of my season was "boots on the ground"....sometimes with my Double Bull folding chair in areas where there were pines for good ground cover. My first couple forays into a new area, I call it "scout hunting" as I have my bow but am looking upward as well as down for tracks, rubs, scrapes, trails, etc....looking for suitable climber trees near the target areas. Then I mark spots on my OnX so I can go in the next time with the Summit climber....although my mobile setup works just fine as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts