Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have recently started a project to make a red oak long bow. I am following directions from www.poorfolksbow.com. However, I wanted to modify the look just a little. My plan is to back the red oak with hickory. Now i know the backing is suppose to give the bow some extra strength and stop the wood from splintering, but If I use more wood to back it, won't I introduce the same problem as not backing the bow? Do I need to epoxy the backing? Please advise. This is my first bow project.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
This would probably be better over in the Traditional Archery Build-along sub-forum:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=222

(Perhaps a mod could move it?)

The idea w/ backing w/ wood is to have more options, so one can use a wood which is better in tension and to have better control / easier selection of the grain and to provide the chance to alter the orientation so as to prevent splinters from lifting.

Epoxy isn't necessary --- Tight-Bond II or III will work quite well (I used TBIII for my bows) --- here's one of hickory-backed hickory:

Flatbow-decurve-reflex-hickory-backed-hickory-braced.jpeg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I am new to AT today. I didn't know there was a traditional archery forum. Thanks for the info. I also use Tight-Bond III. I assume you don't cover your hickory backing with anything?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
back it with some smooth on epoxy and fibreglass cloth, it will become clear once dry and just look like a sweet deep poly finish. My son and I have backed a few that way, we also backed one with cammo cloth saturated with smooth on epoxy. just an idea.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
No, the backing strip (thinking back, I think it was pecan, not hickory --- not a real difference between the two woods though) is just heartwood (w/ some tea and brown fountain pen ink staining where there was sapwood) and the whole thing sprayed in lacquer.

Close-up of one of the tips:

Flatbow-decurve-reflex-hickory-backed-hickory-tip-closeup.jpg

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
This would probably be better over in the Traditional Archery Build-along sub-forum:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=222

(Perhaps a mod could move it?)

The idea w/ backing w/ wood is to have more options, so one can use a wood which is better in tension and to have better control / easier selection of the grain and to provide the chance to alter the orientation so as to prevent splinters from lifting.

Epoxy isn't necessary --- Tight-Bond II or III will work quite well (I used TBIII for my bows) --- here's one of hickory-backed hickory:

View attachment 1287619
That is one sweet hickory bow, I love hickory, maybe we can work a trade someday...lol

DSC00918.jpg DSC00896.jpg DSC00897.jpg

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am new to AT today. I didn't know there was a traditional archery forum. Thanks for the info. I also use Tight-Bond III. I assume you don't cover your hickory backing with anything?
You can back hickory with hickory. As mentioned it ties the grain together preventing tear or break out. I have used maple on oak and walnut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts