Archery Talk Forum banner

long bow

747 Views 19 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  Longbower
I would like to buy a long bow,don't want to spend more then $500.00 is there anything out there new for that $$ ?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,760 Posts
Buy used

I'd go with a Martin Savannah if I was just buying a new one. I shouldn't say that, I've seen some other bows out there that small shop bowyers are building that are awesome for around 500-550, I just can't seem to remember what they are.. I think one was called Banshee. I will tell you this I have bought 2 longbows and 1 recurve that were used. New they were around 550- 650 and I got them for 300- 350 and when I got them they didn't have a scratch on them( now they do). New is nice IMO if you are having it custom made or you just can't find the specific bow you really want. Some of these trad shooters are addicted to buying bows( 3 bow in 2 years,I'm on my way) then one day the wife says " get rid of some of those bows". Tradgang has pages of bows for sale, so does Leatherwall. Have fun shopping!!!- Steve

· Registered
2,175 Posts
IMHO - If this is your first bow (6 posts) I would get a used inexpensive bow, you will change your mind later when you figure out what you want. Ebay and here in the classifieds. If you have been doing this for a while, go to a shoot and shoot some. You really need to get your hands on the bows and shoot them. Some,which I would have purchased without seeing them, once shot, I would not take it for free - (OK maybe for free)

· Registered
2,204 Posts
you can make your own if you have time, they don't cost much & they're kinda fun to make....you can find a ton of support & advice on AT. have you checked out the build alongs? Kegan has quite a few posts on longbows & flatbows. a quick search on longbows will turn up volumes

· Registered
611 Posts
Save more

If this is your first longbow, try and find a used Bear Montana, or an older Martin ML-14. Both are great bows for an intro to longbows. But don't get me wrong they are both very nice bows that will serve you for a while.
If you are an experienced shooter and like to have something a bit better there are actually some really nice bows out there for just a little bit more than 500. If you are willing to wait standard Howard Hill bows go for 500. If you really like that look, you cannot beat this bow. I have two of them and both are real solid performers. If you want a more of a hybrid longbow, take a look at Striker Bows and look at the Slap Stik. This bow goes for 555, and it is worth every penny. The Slap Stik is a short hybrid longbow, that draw super smooth, and flings and arrow whisper quiet. So if you really want a better bow wait a little bit and save a little more. But the best advice I can give you is take a look in the classified ads here and in Trad Gang. There are alot of great bows being sold at great prices. I picked up a Toelke T/D Recurve in absolute mint condition that retails for 850, I got it for 500, that was a great pickup. So shop around.

· Registered
90 Posts
+1 on the Bear Montana - new or used. Very nice bow. Bought mine new @ $329 from BassPro. If you look on ebay or in the classifieds here on Archerytalk you may find a better deal on a used one.

If you're new to traditional-type archery, a word of advice. Get a lighter weight bow first. If you go with a bow that's too heavy for you, it will be more difficult to work on improving your form, and there's a greater risk of shoulder injury.

Good luck.

· Registered
6,441 Posts
My frame of reference is fairly limited compared to a lot of guys here, but I'm a big fan of my Savannah.

Like others have said, there's a LOT of great bows to be had, and your horizons will really expand if you look at the classifieds both here on AT and at other sites.

Definatly don't go too heavy; I started out at 45lbs (coming from drawing 63ish on a compound) and would probably have been better served by starting out at 40 or even less.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.