Archery Talk Forum banner

long bows? any thoughts?

724 Views 14 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  kegan
shut up shawn. but seriously some what do u think about long bows
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Well, this is right up my ally!!! I shoot longbows in I.B.O. and I make them for a living at 16 years old. So if anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me.

· Registered
8,075 Posts

· Registered
10,066 Posts
I've got one but I'm a much better shot with my compound so I usually don't shoot it.
That's probabaly why you're such a better shot with the compound.

It takes about four years to get nearly as good with a longbow/unsighted recurve as it does in less than a week with a compound:eek:!

What sort of longbow do you have?

· Registered
8,075 Posts
That's probabaly why you're such a better shot with the compound.

It takes about four years to get nearly as good with a longbow/unsighted recurve as it does in less than a week with a compound:eek:!

What sort of longbow do you have?
By that statement I can tell you've never shot a true compound before. It certainly takes alot longer than a week to be a good shot. It that's true I want to see YOU hitting bottle cap sized bulls eyes from 40 and 50 yards. true it's not as difficult but the requirements are much harder.

· Registered
10,066 Posts
By that statement I can tell you've never shot a true compound before. It certainly takes alot longer than a week to be a good shot. It that's true I want to see YOU hitting bottle cap sized bulls eyes from 40 and 50 yards. true it's not as difficult but the requirements are much harder.
I was going the other way with that. It's pretty hard to consistently shoot 6" groups with a longbow at 30 yards. Most of the guys who shoot compounds that I know can do this without much trouble, and could shoot those sort of 6" groups at 20 within the hour. I couldn't do that with a longbow and I've been shooting for three years, almost everyday. A local bow hunter can hold a 6" at 100 yards, and shoots every day. That would take a longbow shooter about 10 years of practice, and they still couldn't do it. As you can tell, I'm not putting down the skill level of some of you. I never intended that.

Hitting a bottle cap sized target from 50 yards is a feat for anyone. I can barely hit a 3 suqare foot target:eek:. But you've intrigued me. What requirements are you speaking of?

But why are you shooting a bull's eyes?

· Registered
8,075 Posts
I was going the other way with that. It's pretty hard to consistently shoot 6" groups with a longbow at 30 yards. Most of the guys who shoot compounds that I know can do this without much trouble, and could shoot those sort of 6" groups at 20 within the hour. I couldn't do that with a longbow and I've been shooting for three years, almost everyday. A local bow hunter can hold a 6" at 100 yards, and shoots every day. That would take a longbow shooter about 10 years of practice, and they still couldn't do it. As you can tell, I'm not putting down the skill level of some of you. I never intended that.

Hitting a bottle cap sized target from 50 yards is a feat for anyone. I can barely hit a 3 suqare foot target:eek:. But you've intrigued me. What requirements are you speaking of?

But why are you shooting a bull's eyes?[/QUOTE/]

because that bull realy looked at me wrong!!!

But :focus: Our vegas 3 spot targets are about 5xs smaller, we have to have higher scores at smaller targets at farther distances at many competitions and there are more people that shoot compound than recurve so the competition level is much higher. I also never suggested that you were putting down the skill of some compound archers. I just found out I can hit bottle caps from 40 maybe so I still have alot of inproving to do . It does take quite a bit more skill to shoot without a sight. I also have alot of respect for recurve shooters. But not for stickbow shooters. they suck. just kiding.

· Registered
10,066 Posts
Howard Hill was a stickbow shooter:wink:.

I've also owned and shot a modern recurve. Between the two, modern recurve and a longbow (or slefbow for that matter), I don't see any difference other than arrow spining difficulties. Beyond that, they're up to the shooter, and what limitations he sets on him or herself. Longbow shooters just accept their limitations too readily in my opinion.

· Registered
8,075 Posts
I'll have to look up howard hill never heard of him. Have you seen byron Ferguson though. Didn't spell his name right Why do the best recurve and stickbow shooters have to have hard names? Why can't they be named John Black or somthing else easy to spell?

· Registered
10,066 Posts
I'll have to look up howard hill never heard of him. Have you seen byron Ferguson though. Didn't spell his name right Why do the best recurve and stickbow shooters have to have hard names? Why can't they be named John Black or somthing else easy to spell?
Byron called refered to Hill as his spiritual coach or inspiration or soemthing. I've not seen any of his shooting, but I do know Hill has nver been equalled. Besides some impressivve trick shooting abillities, he also had a terrific number of bow kills- in a time where bows had to compete directly with rifles (30's to 50's). He was also the first man to take an elephant with a bow and arrow. He was truly the greatest archer of all time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.