Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I found out that there are or at least were Long Compound Bows. I've had no luck with finding them through online stores and am not sure where to look for them. Do people still use them and what is the difference between the shorter ones and these longer ones?

·
Back Yard Champion
27,610 Posts
Long as in name or long as in axle to axle? Long ata bows are all over the place. Check the Classifieds on AT.

·
Deer and Bear
664 Posts
"ATA" means: axle to axle. Center of one axle to the center of the other axle

·
Registered
234 Posts
The difference between short and long ATA bows is the level of forgiveness. Shorter ATA bows require more discipline i.e. form/technique, if you mess up a little you will miss by a lot. The longer ATA bows compensate for operator error...

·
Registered
11,237 Posts
Lots of 40 inch axle to axle bows available that won't break the bank.
Check the archery talk classifieds. You might score a nearly new Martin Shadowcat, for example.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Shadowcat, Vantage, Apex8, lots to choose from. Any new bow is going to be expensive and deals on used equipment are plentiful.

-Grant

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Long ATA

Any new bow is going to be expensive and deals on used equipment are plentiful.

-Grant
It did not seem all that long ago most bows would have been considered "long ATA" to today’s standards (that's my age talking).
Unfortunately the trend for newer bows has been to make them shorter. That trend has drove the cost of a new "long ATA" target bow up.
They are still plentiful in the used classifieds.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
It did not seem all that long ago most bows would have been considered "long ATA" to today’s standards (that's my age talking).
Unfortunately the trend for newer bows has been to make them shorter. That trend has drove the cost of a new "long ATA" target bow up.
They are still plentiful in the used classifieds.
And there is no reason to buy new. My 2010 VE shot a 300/30x at Vegas when it was released and if I was capable of performing it would do the same now. Likewise with my Shadowcat.
Look at how many years the Conquest was produced with nothing but a color change and it won many, many times in those years. Look at how long the Spiral cam has been nearly unchanged.

The recipe for a good target bow hasn't changed much: ~40" ATA, ~7.5" BH and 65% let-off.

You don't need new to get that recipe. As far as I'm concerned the only time I'll get a new target bow is if I'm given it for free.

-Grant

1 - 13 of 13 Posts