Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting a compound for years and am interested in picking up a traditional bow. However, I'm 6ft 6 and my compound is a 33inch draw length. How do recurves and such handle long draw lengths? My understanding is that you can't draw them much past their targetted draw length without damage (and allot of strain). What are my options? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
That was an issue with shorter mass produced bows in the past. Modern bowyers can make you a bow to whatever weight you want at your draw pretty much. I draw a bit over 29" and have only had issues with older bear Magnums and such.

·
Registered
651 Posts
If I were you, I'd be on the lookout for recurves longer than 62". There are usually quite a few 64"-70" long recurves on ebay. Or you could have a bow made to your draw. Checkmate offers a few recurve models that are at least 64", including the Hunter II, the King's Pawn, and the Sabre. You can check'em out at www.resurves.com/

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
prospect.

I found a ben pearson javelina 7060 on e-bay. It claims 66in and #50lbs. What do ya'll think? Would it work for the length. I don't want to invest allot so e-bay is probably my route.

·
Registered
651 Posts
At 32" of draw, it could be as much as 65 plus pounds of draw, which is a ton if you're trying to learn form and a good release. Id' look for bows in the 30-35# range. That would put you close to 50#, which is still high for a beginner. Take a look at these bows:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ben-Pearson-PIN...6QQihZ019QQcategoryZ20839QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEN-PEARSON-ALL...7QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20839QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEN-PEARSON-JAV...9QQihZ009QQcategoryZ20839QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
71 Posts
My neighbor is a fair sized man with a 31" draw length. He's shot all kinds of recurve/longbows with little problem but admits to a preference to bows in the 62" or longer length. Also bows with shorter risers, longer limbs will will give you a smoother feeling draw..

Chris

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
My recurve draw length (from the nock groove to the front of the shelf) is 32.75". I won't shoot anything shorter than 66" because of finger pinch. It becomes a real problem during extended shooting sessions.

My best success has been with take down bows that accept ILF limbs. These are the best designed, most thoroughly engineered limbs available. I have Hoyt, W&W and Border and none of them stack, even at my extended draw length but then I'm shooting 68" and 70" recurves.

If you will consider a metal riser that takes these ILF limbs, you can start with light limbs to learn on and progress to heavier limbs on the same riser once you become skilled. At our draw lengths, getting enough pounds is never the problem. Finding arrows can and will be a problem. You can just about give up any idea of wood and some aluminum and carbon designs aren't long enough.

Just be greatful for the extra horse power (longer power stroke) you are getting for free.

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
I currently draw 30.5" on my longbow, and as much as 32" on some recurves. I've seen very, very few "stock" bows that will handle my draw without stacking. Until I bought my first custom, I thought bows were supposed to stack before you hit anchor (no, I didn't know much).

Long draw lengths have an advantage in some ways, but we are at a disadvantage in others.

Chad

·
Registered
334 Posts
boweng

I'm a longtime compound shooter with a 33" compound draw. With my traditional equipment, I shoot 68" longbows and also have a 68" Jeffery Royal Hunter recurve. I have never tried anything any shorter and never had any limb problems. You will need to choose a draw weight much lighter than your compound draw weight. My long bow is 43# at 28 inches, and at a 32" longbow draw, I'm pulling 51#s. Some bows may stack at the longer draw lengths. My 70" Hoyt target recurve and my 68" Treadway Blackforest longbow has no stack at my 32" draw.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
i heard from a bowmaker that some long bows can go about two and a half inches past twenty-eight inches without a damaging amount of stress now that they laminate them. i am not sure though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts