Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi AT members

I am just getting into bow hunting and looking for some experienced advice on choosing a long draw bow. I just turned 16, and I am already drawing 30"/65#, and I probably have another 2 to 4" to grow so I want to buy a bow I can grow into. I went to the local archery store and tried out several different Hoyt PSE and Mathews models. I definitely liked the PSE the best. They only had one $900 model that draws over 30" which is way more than I can afford. So he directed me to Archerytalk to look for a used bow that would draw at least 32" and a 32"-35" axel to axle length and he would fit and tune and help me accessorize. His only suggestion was the PSE Vendetta XL which he said I should be able to pick up for about $200 for a bare bow. But in looking on line they seem to be a lot more than that which seems like a lot for a 8 year old bow. So i'm looking for your help on suggestions to look for. All in I can only spend about $500. Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'd look at a used pse freak because it can go from 29"-33". You'll still be able to shoot it in case you don't grow anymore and it'll fit if you do

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I did some research, and I'm not sure I would be comfortable hunting with a 38" AtA bow. But i'll keep my eye out.

Any other suggestions out there?

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
Bowtech cpxl
Hoyt LD bows
Xpedition perfection
Are a couple I like and you can find the xpedition and cpxl pretty low price here.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Prime Rival long draw goes to 32", and I really like mine. CPXL is a good bow too, if barnsdale ever makes limbs for them I might get another one day. Pulling that kind of draw length, you're GOING to want a bow that has a long ata.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will keep my eye out for a CPXL as well as the Vendetta xl and hope something comes up in my price range. I have never held a Xpedition bow, so not sure how it would feel to me. Unfortunately the nearest dealer is about a 3.5 hour drive away so doubt I will get there anytime soon.

So a follow on question. Since this is the first bow i'm buying and if I buy it here on line without being able to see, hold or shoot, does anyone have some suggested questions to ask the seller beyond overall condition and usage?

·
Registered
17,413 Posts
Thank you all for the suggestions. I will keep my eye out for a CPXL as well as the Vendetta xl and hope something comes up in my price range. I have never held a Xpedition bow, so not sure how it would feel to me. Unfortunately the nearest dealer is about a 3.5 hour drive away so doubt I will get there anytime soon.

So a follow on question. Since this is the first bow i'm buying and if I buy it here on line without being able to see, hold or shoot, does anyone have some suggested questions to ask the seller beyond overall condition and usage?
Only use paypal to buy it, no money orders...get pictures, lots of picttures, get phone number address of seller...save all emails messages texts...buy from someone with a history of feedback...I have bought sold and traded here with no issue just cover you bases prior to sending money. You should be able to get a vendetta xl at some point for cheap, great bow!!!

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
If you buy here look at feedback , sure there are a whole lot of good sellers with little to no feedback and I have bought from them before but if you can't afford to take a chance with your money go with feedback scores. Be more careful on Ebay one thing to notice is guys with feedback in the thousands they may be great sellers but don't likely know much about archery But many have a return policy so you can send it back if you get something with issues etc
A number of companies make long draw bows and I wouldn't worry about longer Axel to axel as in 38" you will hardly notice the difference between that and 34" and the longer axel to axel the more stable it is to shoot .
Research online and you can find info and reviews of all popular companies bows going back a lot of years . One thing you'll notice is companies with a large lineup of bows each year make models that cover the spectrum of potential buyers , With some exceptions like Obsession and Xpedition etc. who make long draw models . I shoot between 30 and 31" draw depending on the bow company lol they don't all seem to use the same length measuring stick.
Some really good used bows out there so have fun in your search .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a lead on a PSE Drive LT. Any reaction? Seems like the reviews are fairly positive. Given my 30"+ draw length, is a bow with an ata of 31" too small?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I wouldn't shoot anything less than a 34" ata. I did find an elite that worked but most have too much nock pinch with a long draw.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm 6'5" with a 31.5-32" draw. I'm shooting a Bear Agenda 7 which says it maxes at 31", but it's closer to 31.75" draw. I'm a lefty so it was hard to test out bows and i bought this without trying it, but I'm definitely not disappointed with it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts