Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking into longer draw bows. (Something that will reach 32”) I prefer to stay in the shorter ATA’s. Halon 32-7, Kuma LD, Hoyt double XL are all I’ve really found for options. I would consider a little longer ATA if the bow is a good shooter. Anyone know of others I could look into?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Pse used to be the go-to, but they don’t have as many long draw options as they used to. You didn’t list the traverse, that’s the one I went with this year. IMO that’s one of the top choices. You really need to spend a little time shooting and comparing them if you can find a good shop that stocks them.

The trade offs with the traverse are that I wish it was slightly smaller and lighter while still having the rigidity that it has. I haven’t found anything that shoots and feels as good in that form factor, so I’m shooting the traverse. I liked the triax, but it’s just too short for my DL. The Hoyt carbons are cool but I preferred the way the Mathews felt. I also really liked my pse phenom DC, but it’s considerably slower than the other bows I’ve mentioned. The traverse is the one to beat for the moment for me.

D

·
Registered
9,746 Posts
I have a 31 3/8" draw and I can't imagine someone with a 32" draw enjoying a short bow. I would look for a Used Xpedition Perfection with the XS plus cam, it's a shooter! Just curious why would you want a short bow? By the way, the short bows that have huge cams and are just as long overall anyway!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The double XXL is pretty much a 36 ATA the others are quite a bit shorter but make up with the bigger cams.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve been told the traverse is a great bow. I’m also not a super addicted/invested hunter so price does play a factor for me. That being said, I would be open to longer ATA’s if it meant the bow fit me and felt better. I don’t shoot out of blinds so I could handle a longer bow.

Living in Iowa I’m having trouble finding shops that actually have any in stock to shoot. Mostly because I’m lefty

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Pse you have the evoke 35ec, beast, drive xl, phenom dc that you can look at.

The drive xl is the shortest at 34" ata

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Just thwackin' it.
6,965 Posts
I’ve been looking into longer draw bows. (Something that will reach 32”) I prefer to stay in the shorter ATA’s. Halon 32-7, Kuma LD, Hoyt double XL are all I’ve really found for options. I would consider a little longer ATA if the bow is a good shooter. Anyone know of others I could look into?
How tall are you? How long have you been shooting?

Reason I ask is I find most new archers get measured wrong to begin with, and I don't know many that have a 32" DL that would actually want a short ATA bow. Heck I'm 5'7" and shoot 27"ish DL and won't pick up a bow shorter than 33" ATA.

·
Registered
847 Posts
How tall are you? How long have you been shooting?

Reason I ask is I find most new archers get measured wrong to begin with, and I don't know many that have a 32" DL that would actually want a short ATA bow. Heck I'm 5'7" and shoot 27"ish DL and won't pick up a bow shorter than 33" ATA.
That’s your choice, but I’m tall with a 31.5” draw length and don’t want a hunting bow over 33”. My target rig is a pse beast, and I love it. I tried hunting with it for a year, and hated it for that. Too big a bow to try to move silently through the woods with when there are perfectly good shorter options.

D

·
Registered
49,774 Posts
IF and I mean IF your draw is actually tht long a short axle to axle bow is NOT going to perform in your favor. The string angle at full draw would be too steep of an angle. You will have nock pinch problems, peep angle problems. Not a good idea.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m 6’4” with 81” wingspan. Last fall was my first tour back into bow hunting in a long time. I’m approaching everything as if it was my first because I’d like to get back into things the right way. I’ve onju ever shot shorter ATA and I’m curious if going longer will be a good move. I’m by no means an avid shooter nor do I do any sort of hunts where a longer bow would hider me in any way.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Im a long draw guy myself. I attempted to make a mathews halon 6 work (30"ata) but could never get comfortable. I removed the grip and put side plates on it and had twists added to cables to get me close to the 32" i needed. Finally gave up and just got a traverse. Much more comfortable. Have to tip my head forward a tiny bit to touch nose to string but 100 times better than the halon 6.

·
Human
293 Posts
I’m 6’4” with 81” wingspan. Last fall was my first tour back into bow hunting in a long time. I’m approaching everything as if it was my first because I’d like to get back into things the right way. I’ve onju ever shot shorter ATA and I’m curious if going longer will be a good move. I’m by no means an avid shooter nor do I do any sort of hunts where a longer bow would hider me in any way.
I'm a hair taller than your and my wingspan is longer than yours. I shoot a 31" draw (preferably 30-7/8, but I find 30-1/2 too short). A longer ATA bow is definitely nice in a lot of ways, but 34 or 35 ATA suits me fine. I would strongly recommend buying a bow with adjustable mods so you can experiment with draw length, if you're not 100% positive where you need to be.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I thought PSE makes one. Can anyone confirm that?
Phenom XT is a great mid-range that goes to 33”. My son has had one through his JOAD development and it has been marvelous at growing with him. Lots of adjustability for DL and poundage.

At my 31” DL, I really like the Halon X Comp. goes to 32”, has provisions to mount a quiver if you want to hunt with it as well. I have shot 3 other 35” ata bows, longer just works better for me.

That being said, I I could get a Halon X with the cams from my Halon 32-6, that would be the cats meow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
847 Posts
Phenom XT is a great mid-range that goes to 33”. My son has had one through his JOAD development and it has been marvelous at growing with him. Lots of adjustability for DL and poundage.

At my 31” DL, I really like the Halon X Comp. goes to 32”, has provisions to mount a quiver if you want to hunt with it as well. I have shot 3 other 35” ata bows, longer just works better for me.

That being said, I I could get a Halon X with the cams from my Halon 32-6, that would be the cats meow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I like my phenom DC a lot, but it’s relatively slow for a hunting bow which I suspect is what the OP is primarily using it for. I like the traverse better as a hunting rig. Faster, quieter, much less hand shock at higher draw weights, etc.

D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts