Archery Talk Forum banner

long draw hunters, I need help and I know you are out there

672 Views 20 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  grizzlyplumber
Ok, so at the moment I am shooting a target recurve. I'm looking at picking up a compound bow for both hunting and most likely field and 3d shooting. Now, So far so good. Well, now the issue. I am 6 foot 7 and on a recurve, my draw is just over 33 inches.

From looking online I've found the following bows that may be options for me.
X-FORCE GX LD (33 inch draw)
Merlin XV and XT (both 33 inch draws)
Hoyt 38 pro
Pro-elite
Vantage Elite (I believe the hoyts are either 33.5 or 34 inch draws)

does anyone know of any other options?
can you get merlin bows in North America?
In terms of speed, the hoyts appear to be the slowest of the bunch, Should their lower speed be of concern to me?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
Should their lower speed be of concern to me?
Not with our draw lengths.:wink: Look at my OG in my sig.......it's 308-316 IBO, and I'm getting 285fps with a 500gr arrow.

I have never tried a longbow, but I would definitely recommend getting to a good proshop and having them fit you for a compound. You never know, your draw may be different.

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not with our draw lengths.:wink: Look at my OG in my sig.......it's 308-316 IBO, and I'm getting 285fps with a 500gr arrow.

I have never tried a longbow, but I would definitely recommend getting to a good proshop and having them fit you for a compound. You never know, your draw may be different.
the problem is, that there aren't any large shops in my area. I know the little guys can order in a bow, but I am not sure they'll order in a bow for the soul purpose of trying to see if it will fit me (and if they do, it'll make me feel pressured to buy it rather then shop around and look at other bow options).

That said, I am expecting to loose a little of my 33+ inch draw length in going to a compound because of the d-loop. That at least gives me a couple options.

· Registered
10,406 Posts
Go to dartonarchery.com..they have bows in your dl...but special order.Darton makes a nice and fast bow.gl

· Registered
8,486 Posts
I am 6'9" tall and have a 33" draw. I shoot an Elite XLR at 32.5" with a short D loop. It is an awesome bow; has a longer ATA, quiet and smooth. The IBO is 320 FPS, but with my DL, I am getting 386 fps with a 530 grain arrow and 70#'s. I have shot a longbow most of my life and only recently went back to a compound in order to increase my range.

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am 6'9" tall and have a 33" draw. I shoot an Elite XLR at 32.5" with a short D loop. It is an awesome bow; has a longer ATA, quiet and smooth. The IBO is 320 FPS, but with my DL, I am getting 386 fps with a 530 grain arrow and 70#'s. I have shot a longbow most of my life and only recently went back to a compound in order to increase my range.
hmm, I thought the XLR's draw length topped out at 32 inches.

· Registered
285 Posts
I am 32.5" draw.

I shoot a matthews Switchback LD with a big d loop, Elite XXL with big D loop and PSE X - Force again with big D loop.

If your draw is 33" I would suggest trying to find a bowshop that will let you try one.... Ordering a bow you have not shot can be a recipie for disaster.

ALSO, the longer you draw, the harder your bow is to tune and be torque free. Paper tune, paper tune, paper tune.

Shoot your broadheads alot before you go hunting.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If your draw is 33" I would suggest trying to find a bowshop that will let you try one.... Ordering a bow you have not shot can be a recipie for disaster.
My fear is that the little shops in town won't order in 2-3 different bows for me to try :( (in their defense I haven't asked them yet I am still looking at options)

ALSO, the longer you draw, the harder your bow is to tune and be torque free. Paper tune, paper tune, paper tune.
interesting, In recurve shooting I think my long draw is an advantage and I haven't struggled to tune it in. A challenge to get arrows yet, but to tune? I haven't seen anything really odd or strange.

anyway guys, thanks for the tips/hints. Keep them coming. It sounds like my hope to loose half an inch with a D-loop is accurate and fair. If I could tweak my form to shave off a half inch and then loose another half inch with a d-loop that would let me shoot a 32 inch bow and would give me more options.

· Registered
8,486 Posts
hmm, I thought the XLR's draw length topped out at 32 inches.
Correct, but if you twist the cables a bit, you can easily gain another 1/2".

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try contact APA I know they have some longer drawing bows I am shooting only 31" but they may be able to put something together for you. Plus they are a canadian company
I have to say, those are some PURDY bows. The black mamba XL gets to 32, and they may have some cams that allow for a little little draw length. They are definitely on my list to contact.

· Registered
967 Posts
i am 6-3 and i have a 32 inch draw i shoot 31.5 with a loop, as for speed us long draw guys have nothing to worry about(280 with a 430 grn arrow) .now some things i have learned is we need looong axle to axle bows my protech is 38 inches and i cant touch the string to my nose because of the string angle.and yes use a loop the string angle is steep i used to shoot off the string and i have had my arrow slide down my serving, now with a loop no problem.and lastly choose a bow with as much brace height as you can get because a 29 inch draw person with a 6 or 7 inch brace is like compairing apple to oranges to a 33 inch draw person with a 8 inch + brace height....

· Registered
759 Posts
Mathews Apex

Tim Gillingham is about 6'6'' and shoots a Mathews Apex 32" draw, with a loop, that would easily fit your draw length, and speed is not a problem, he shoots 325fps in IBO. At 42 1/2" ATA and 8" brace height it's also one of the most accurate bows on the market. Tim consistently shoots 300's with 60x's and mid 550 fields.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
my protech is 38 inches and i cant touch the string to my nose because of the string angle.
Interesting......both my bows are around 37" ATA and 32" draw, and the string touches the same spot on my nose every time.

· Registered
8,486 Posts
HCA also has some longer draw bows and will also custom make you a longer DL.

· Registered
12,459 Posts
i am 6-3 and i have a 32 inch draw i shoot 31.5 with a loop, as for speed us long draw guys have nothing to worry about(280 with a 430 grn arrow) .now some things i have learned is we need looong axle to axle bows my protech is 38 inches and i cant touch the string to my nose because of the string angle.and yes use a loop the string angle is steep i used to shoot off the string and i have had my arrow slide down my serving, now with a loop no problem.and lastly choose a bow with as much brace height as you can get because a 29 inch draw person with a 6 or 7 inch brace is like compairing apple to oranges to a 33 inch draw person with a 8 inch + brace height....
Moose.....I had the same issues with the short ATA bows but, not with my Protec. Granted, I am a short draw archer of only 30" :chortle: but, I would think you can get string contact with your nose. You probably have a low anchor point and if that is the case, if you want the string contact you are going to have to move your anchor point up. I started shooting a hinge again and I slowly started playing with my anchor and it ended up higher on my cheek than I was used too. It feels comfortable and 100% normal now.

· Registered
2,919 Posts
like you already noted, Hoyt has several models with long draw length -- typically the longer ATA bows. There were Vantage X7's going real cheap on E-Bay recently, though they would require a cam change because you never see them for sale in knuckledragger draw lengths.

Get used to the idea of buying bows without shooting them first -- that's the way it is for us knuckledraggers. About the best you can do is shoot one at 29" or 30" draw, which is barely better than nothing.

If you like a shorter ATA bow, the HCA Supreme Pro will go to 33" + (I think their specs say 32.5 but they run long) It is very similar to the Elite XLR; 37" ATA, 7.5" brace height; but adjustable draw length

The string/nose thing is a matter of form and preference -- there is no law of archery that says you must touch the string to your nose -- but if you prefer to do that, you probably will need to adopt a higher anchor point with the shorter ATA bows because of the string angle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.