Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my current bow has a longer valley, which is probably good since it is my first year of bowhunting. I recently shot the AR 32 at the local pro shop and found the short valley quite difficult to get used to. The fact that I had just got done shooting mine probably made a difference, and mine also has a wrist sling and I felt naked shooting a bow without one. I didn't buy the AR, but thought I would like it a lot more than I actually did. The draw wasn't all that smooth, but it was fast and quiet, it also felt pretty heavy.

How hard is it to get used to a shorter valley? When you do get used to it, will it make you a better shooter since you must hold it in the proper place everytime?

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
It depends

If you have the correct or slightly short draw length, then it should not be too hard for you to get used to. I personally don't like the short valleys. Part of that it my bad shoulders. Another part is, like a bow I have right now, it supposedly has 75% letoff, but if you don't pull pretty hard into the wall, the bow starts to pull right back. A few times after I've been shooting my other bows, I'll come to full draw and just as I'm getting ready to settle in, it pulls back and my left shoulder really feels it when I have to get it back under control. I don't want that in a hunting bow, but I guess the guys with perfect form don't mind. I certainly would not be getting a bow that you found uncomfortable this close to hunting season, if it is to be a hunting bow. Now the other side of the coin is that some bows with a fairly long valley will really throw shots high or low if you allow yourself to creep at all. In that case, the valley really does not help you since you can creep a bit and not know it. The bows that I like the best won't want to jump forward with a little letup, but will just pull very lightly to remind you of what is going on without maybe yanking your arm forward while a deer is watching you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts