Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was needing some help. Im a great shot out to 20yds but out to 30-40 I just can't do it its very frustrating. Can someone give me some tips or advice please?

·
It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
Where are you hitting at at 30 - 40? High low or left right or just all over? what size pins in the sight? Theres a lot goin on there that we dont know :wink:

How do you aim?

Do you shoot a while at 20 and then when you start to fatigue move out to 30 - 40?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Practice practice practice. Every time you step out to a further distance any little flaws you have will continue to be exposed. Practice until you get it right, then move on to the next distance.

·
Registered
352 Posts
its hard to diagnose that without watching you. just how great are you at 20? we talking arrow splitting or volley ball. If your smacking arrows at 20 then I would take a break from shooting there and just start shooting 40. It will make that 30 feel like 20 once you get it down. If your grouping the size of a volley ball then go a pro shop and ask for some assistance to give your form a once over. Either way I recommend having a pro shop look at you.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Assuming your bow is setup right, and your form is good, I shall continue.

Confidence is a big thing, so here are two things that may help with your shooting.

1) Pin size. Depending on the size of the target you are aiming at, the .019 pins may cover the target. This makes it hard to actually centre the pin on the target. I recently changed sights on my 3D bow, and went to .010 pins. I saw an immediate improvement in consistent accuracy.

2) Confidence. What size target are you aiming at? 1" dot, 5" dot or 10" dot? When I first started shooting from longer distances, I started with a 5" dot. As I practiced more, and the accuracy improved, I shrunk the dot size. Its the same principle as practicing at 60mtrs, to make a 40mtr shot easier. Get confident aiming at a 5" dot, then a 3" dot wont seem so hard. Get used to nailing a 3" dot, then a 1" dot is nowhere near as daunting.

Practice, practice and more practice will build confidence. Confidence goes a long way towards accuracy!

Leigh.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
There are alot of things here that come into play. All the above is people asking you the right quistens. There have been more then a few problems in my archery life with aiming and its easy for me to say I carnt hold still enough to shoot great groups. Or I am not exercuting correcty. Then other times I suprise my self how well I can shoot and its not from trying harder its kinda like I just do it and it happens. Then its working good and I try to maintane this standerd of shooting and I tell my self scott consentrate on the x so I do this and I notice the dot on the x then jumps away goes back there and jumps away and I though about it. Its not me shaking this dot moment it comes from me trying hard to look at the x so on it goes jumps of back there again PUNCH. So I tryed something else I DONT WANT TO SEE YOU X I will focus on the dot and cover the x bang away it goes again exercuting correcty untile the next mental breakdown happens.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
practice and a well tuned bow and archer . once you get it down keep moveing out farther. it is satisfiying being able to hit at long ranges.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Long range shooting really comes down to form, proper bow setup and a proper tune on the bow..If any of these things are off you'll rip you hair out. 30-40yds isnt that far "though some people on here act like it's a mile", think about it this way....Shooting at 40 is no different than shooting at 20, you do the exact same thing just with a different sight pin. I'd venture to say your form is really jacked or your bow isnt setup/tuned right.

·
NAASP
14,400 Posts
Could be many. many, things. Most already mentioned here.

Bow tune

Form

Mentality and fatigue (you could also be over bow'd)

release

It can also be your arrows.

We just really only give you some starter points, which really isn't going to do you too much good.

But listed things all play in the repeatability and accuracy of your shot.

What you really need is a experienced shooter to watch you and your equipment.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
Hey guys I was needing some help. Im a great shot out to 20yds but out to 30-40 I just can't do it its very frustrating. Can someone give me some tips or advice please?
Have you tried a longer A2A bow? After shooting the shorty's for several years I was just not seeing the kind of longer distance accuracy I wanted. Out of frustration, I bought a used 36 1/4" A2A bow and "Bingo" that was the ticket.

I'm glad to say that my longer range shooting accuracy has gotten much, much better.

Skeet.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
its hard to diagnose that without watching you. just how great are you at 20? we talking arrow splitting or volley ball. If your smacking arrows at 20 then I would take a break from shooting there and just start shooting 40. It will make that 30 feel like 20 once you get it down. If your grouping the size of a volley ball then go a pro shop and ask for some assistance to give your form a once over. Either way I recommend having a pro shop look at you.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Your follow through could be causing your poor groups at longer ranges. Look up (blind shooting) and give it a try for a week or so.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
I shoot a lot at 70 yds with pretty good accuracy. But how I got there was by reading everything I could on AT and other places and learning to tune my bow to target standards which are tighter than normal 20 - 30 yd hunting standards.

It took a LOT of effort and a LOT of practice and a LOT of analyzing. There are SO many things that could be involved, like others have said, you need to have an experienced person check your equipment tune and watch you shoot. And by experienced, I mean someone who can show by his/her shooting that they do indeed know what they're talking about.

It might be a combination of a lot of little things, or it could be one or two big things that'll make the difference for you.

You could try backing up to 25 yds, shooting there until that feels normal, then backing up another 5 yds to 30 and so on. That might help but equipment tune and form need to be as optimal as possible.

·
It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
If i had only 1 guess from the info given, id say you are command shooting and really floating a lot, maybe set up too light to hold still. Try a little more weight on a stab and practice holding, focusing, aiming at the center of the center of the target.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
At 20 I can break nocks at 30 its like a cantaloupe at 40 a basketball
Sounds more like something is not quite right with your set up. Download the easton tuning guide and just start from the beginning. I would check for clearance issues first and then start tuning. I had the same type of gig when my vane was just barely hitting my rest.

·
Banned
4,049 Posts
oh boy! here is a subject that will bring some of the (expert) long range shooters out. you shouldnt have a hard time finding someone with this subject. lol

·
Registered
932 Posts
Just practice, Control your breathing, and concentrate on a smooth and clean release. My first year of archery was trying to hit good groups out to 30 yards. Now I am dropping 90 yard targets like nothing.

Good luck and shoot straight,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts