Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 567 Posts

·
Buckeye Fanatic !
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting my Z7 from 75 yds. I have yet to miss the target at that range, but I have not made a very tight group. I was wondering what type of group I should be shooting.

·
Registered
66 Posts
75 yards is a ways out. I know I'd be satisfied with keeping a paper plate size group.

·
Registered
49,151 Posts
LOL, what size group do you want????? I agree paper plate is acceptable at that range. But IMHO I know probably fewer that 5 people that that distance would be used---hunting or other wise. If your thinking hunting I would seriously reconsider taking shoots that far----it's a very high risk shot at best.:)

·
Registered
519 Posts
My buddy and I are getting 2 to 4 inch groups out to 80 yards. But it depends on wind conditions. We also shoot heavy arrows. 450 to 470 grains with at least 12% foc. we also shoot bowtechs. :)

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
The group is an ongoing thing-pratice.:cry: Most of the guys that hunt out west think of a 60yd shot as normal. In Alaska, 80yds is the norm for pratice. Many archers have taken animals in the 50-70yd range.:mg: That being said, the object is not to shoot that far at the animal.:star: While teaching IBEP, the question was asked if a leg shot is a kill shot! Answer: it can be if you can hit with a follow up shot. But what if the animal will stay 60yds away and you can't get any closer? Pratice!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Follow a simple rule : 1" per 10 yards out.

At 20 You should be at 2" groups
At 70 You should be at 7" groups.

This is only a starting point , just a good rule of thumb. Shooting long distance will magnify any mistake you make with grip, release, arrows, overall form etc, etc. Don't expect wonders and very consistent grouping between days - little things like wind gust or different light condition will throw your groups off.

·
Registered
49,151 Posts
But what if the animal will stay 60yds away and you can't get any closer? Pratice!:darkbeer:
The answer to that is if your not 99% sure you can make the necessary shot to do the job, then ethical you don't take the shot, don't care if it is a trophy animal or not. Can and do people take game at that distance-----sure but as a rule most don't. Know your limitations and stick to them.:)
By the way 3children you know as well as I do in our neck of the woods the average shot is 20 yards and less for deer LOL.:shade:

·
Buckeye Fanatic !
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, what size group do you want????? I agree paper plate is acceptable at that range. But IMHO I know probably fewer that 5 people that that distance would be used---hunting or other wise. If your thinking hunting I would seriously reconsider taking shoots that far----it's a very high risk shot at best.:)
I would never shoot at a deer that far out. I just like to practice at long range to make the closer shots seem easier. Its just fun lobbing those arrows at a far away target. I was just curious what an acceptable group would be.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My buddy and I are getting 2 to 4 inch groups out to 80 yards. But it depends on wind conditions. We also shoot heavy arrows. 450 to 470 grains with at least 12% foc. we also shoot bowtechs. :)
You should be shooting competitively for money.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
70 yards is along ways but it is also nice to know that you can get another one in an animal if need be. We practice out to 80 just for that reason.
I know make the first shot count.
The animal never moves.
A wind gust never comes up at just the wrong moment.
It happens even to those who say that it never will.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I think the inch per ten yards thing is about right. Sometimes I can get a two inch group out to 80yds but as far as the norm it would be in the 6"-8" range. My view on shooting at an animal is situation specific. A moose is a larger target than a deer so I would probably take a longer shot on the moose. Only the shooter knows what range they can make a shot on an animal. Not all men are created equal.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Uh-oh...Dale B1 used the "E" word. :mg: Take cover.

Seriously, there are plenty of reasons to practice 80+ yards. First and foremost for me is because it's hard and working on hard shots improves my shorter and easier shots. Second, it helps with those pesky 80 yard shots in Field shoots. Probably the most satisfying for me is, it's just plain fun.

At that distance, I'm happy to not lose arrows, but I'm satisfied with a 10-12" group. More often than not I'm not satisfied, but I'm getting better...which is a great reason to shoot distance shots.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Long range shots

I practice out to 90 yards. That is as far as my HHA sight will work with my bow set up. I also shoot heavier arrow and higher than average FOC. Properly tuned bow with those two factors mentioned improve the accuracy. Practice, practice, practice improves my consistency. I would not shoot at an animal at that distance, bud it does improve and builds confidence on closer shots. And also as some guys mentioned it is a blast slinging arrows that far. My goal is to always practice far beyond my intended shots on animals. That has proved valuable because to this day I have not wounded an animal with a bow. Of course the animals can do funny and unexpected things in the woods right before the shot, but proper/ high percentage shot selection is the most important thing above all to me.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Follow a simple rule : 1" per 10 yards out.

At 20 You should be at 2" groups
At 70 You should be at 7" groups.

This is only a starting point , just a good rule of thumb. Shooting long distance will magnify any mistake you make with grip, release, arrows, overall form etc, etc. Don't expect wonders and very consistent grouping between days - little things like wind gust or different light condition will throw your groups off.
this my advice as well. I would then strive to shrink those groups to say .75'' for every 10 yards. this would put you at 3'' groups at 40 yards and 6'' at 80 yards. I can shoot 4'' groups at 50 yards now, but will try to get better and shoot 3'' groups at 50 yards, the more I practice.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The group is an ongoing thing-pratice.:cry: Most of the guys that hunt out west think of a 60yd shot as normal. In Alaska, 80yds is the norm for pratice. Many archers have taken animals in the 50-70yd range.:mg: That being said, the object is not to shoot that far at the animal.:star: While teaching IBEP, the question was asked if a leg shot is a kill shot! Answer: it can be if you can hit with a follow up shot. But what if the animal will stay 60yds away and you can't get any closer? Pratice!:darkbeer:
Thank you for the complement:shade:

·
Registered
387 Posts
The more important question is where your first arrow lands at that distance. You won't be warmed up in the field. The first target on the field archery course is an 80 yard walkup. We shoot it with no warmup. It's pretty interesting especially when it's windy like last night. Start shooting field archery with your equipment. It's an old game but it'll help.
RG

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm curious as to how many feel the average archer is capable of shooting consistently the group sizes many of you have indicated? And I mean after practicing, and practicing, and practicing...

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I'm about 6" at 50 then no more pins guess I could use a little kentucky elevation but arowws are expensive

1 - 20 of 567 Posts