Registered
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 Xcursion 6
63# 28.5"
Easton axis 340 cut to 27.5" 100 grain points
Trophy ridge react pro 5 pin sight
Whalens hooker 3 finger

So above is what I'm using. My issue is when sighting in my react pro I shoot at 20 until it's dead on. Move out to 60 adjust the worm drive until it's dead on at 60.

The issue comes when I try and shoot 30-50 yard pins they all hit high for some reason.

I then tried using the worm drive to sight in my 30 yd pin to see if that would help and noticed that 40-60 were low.

I tried adjusting my grip which helped with left and right which I expected. But nothing with the vertical inconsistency.

I then switched to my Scott Mongoose to rule out the whalens hooker and same thing with it.

I did however notice my peep had moved about 1/16" as I only use a constrictor knot around it nothing above or below. Could this be causing the vertical inconsistency? I do plan to serve above and below now but have never had an issue with just doing the constrictor knot the past 4 years on previous bows.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
976 Posts
The short answer is yes... Your peep moving up would necessitate your sight/pins to also move up in order to have the same point of impact as prior to the peep moving.

·
Registered
8,285 Posts
Don't take sight advice from the sightless, but could you have the wrong gaps between the pins/an incorrect sight tape/something goofy with the sight? If you're on at 20 and 60yds, but off in the middle, then you adjust the middle and your miss at distance is opposite of the mid-distance corrections, it sort of sounds like there is a gapping issue between the middle and end references.

·
Registered
50,416 Posts
First off your peep moves any then it is not correctly tied in.
Ok so your off, how far is off, high/low by how much? If it is minor there may be nothing you can do,. This is a neat concept but it is not an exact concept.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
Get the peep tied in and try again to see what happens.

·
Registered
837 Posts
It could peep moving, but if you are dead on at 60 then high at 40 and 50 and then dead on at 60 it’s not your peep. Try sighting in half the distance you will be shooting . If 80 yards is longest distance , move your peep to align with the scope at 35/40 yards. Then middle yardages will be easier to stay in the peep. But again, first sight in shoot 60 yards then 40 and 50. Then go back to 60. If it’s still on at 60 it’s not the peep moving.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,335 Posts
I like a sight that I can sight in each pin individually. But I always start with my center pin for gang adjustments and then set each of the individual pins. I shoot 7 pin sights most the time so my 50 yard pin is in the middle.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Ok, here's my .02 cents...
I just reviewed your sight and how it works. Starting with your peep securely tied in, then after setting your 20 and 60 pins and verifying they're correct, if any of the middle pins are consistently off (especially in the same direction... 30 too high, 40 too low or whatever) it clearly points to the sight's automated pin-gap geometry being out of whack. All engineering has +/- machining tolerances, and can you imagine how tight they'd need to be to precisely maneuver each one of the middle pins for pinpoint accuracy? ...For one reason or another, sometimes things like this looks good on paper but don't quite work out the way we want in real-world applications.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
do u know where your peep position should b.? remove your peep and sight in without peep @60yrds. this is your natural anchor. replace peep and adjust your peep up/down till your back on sixty WITHOUT moving your sight ONLY peep.. your l/r while not using your peep will b off but not by much, if your horz. is ok to start leave it alone... most people don,t know where their natural anchor really is unless the use this method,, you can also do the same at 50,,40,,yrds etc,,,what I do is sight in at my average 3d range around 40 yrds and I,m good to go BUT i shot a single pin, you might b better off at longer range with pins

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Tie your peep in so that it isn’t going to move, sighting in is a pointless endeavor until your peep is set.

With that out of the way, try your sight again. If you get the same result where your short and long mark are good but your other pins are off, something is wrong with the sight. My brother has used one of those for a few years without issue, but it sounds like something is wrong with yours. Get the peep squared away and try again.

If you were getting both high and low misses at the same range, I’d suggest checking your cam timing, anchor, etc. I’m 99% sure your sight is busted though if you get the same issue when you know the peep hasn’t moved.

D

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tied in I'll give it a run tomorrow

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After extensive shooting and after tying in my peep my 50-60 are still low while my 20-30-40 are dead on. Really unsure at this point. May try some different arrows tomorrow

·
Uncredible
1,935 Posts
Arrows may be parachuting at the longer yardage how much fletching are you shooting. A heavy helical has done the same on me in the past on a light arrow

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Arrows may be parachuting at the longer yardage how much fletching are you shooting. A heavy helical has done the same on me in the past on a light arrow
I'm shooting 2" blazer with a slight helical on Easton axis 340's

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my react sights all say to sight in my 20, then sight in and gang adjust at 30
They say sight in at 20 and gang adjust to 60 for it to be most accurate. The further out you hang adjust the more accurate it will be. At least that's what mine said when i got it 3 years ago

1 - 20 of 25 Posts